Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Young Driver - First Car - First insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Just to follow up, the learner insurance co we used was Collingwood
    https://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/UK/

I have a referral code for those that can save you a little bit

Journeyman Pro

The boxes- one of my daughters mates just had his insurance cancelled by the insurer for too many 'infringements'.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    It depends really.

Some companies work differently on how they hand out their discounts. Some companies will take driving on another policy in good light and offer a reduced rate. Others will simply say that if the policies are not in your name then tough luck.

I got my first car and first policy when I was about 20, had been driving on my parents policy for 2 years and my first quote was 1300.

It dropped significantly the next year to about 700 and then started coming down slower than that (changed car to a much more expensive car as well). I would be surprised at 22 and having driving experience if it would be 1500, I would expect it to be lower than that. Try a few comparison sites and see what comes up. Always a good way of getting a starting point

Another thing to consider is the address the car is registered at, I moved house this year and my policy went down by 120 (for 3 months insurance). I changed car and was told that i would have to pay 300 for the remaining 3 months of the year, moved house at the same time and now the quote was for 180. And that was moving 10 mins down the road.
    Many thanks for this advice
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post

Should he get own policy or better to be a named driver on mine?
    Is there a good car that automatically brings the insurance down?
    Particular good Insurer for first timers?

thanks
    My opinion would be to get them as main driver. Need to be careful if they are a named driver that you are not fronting for them, as it's illegal and can nullify claims.
    As others have said, it's not always the car - underwriting is done on much broader risks, and the main one is the driver's propensity to cause other damage, particularly injury.
    I've used a black box insurer for my daughter, made an enormous difference. Makes me think twice when I drive her car occasionally too!
    Use a comparison site, and play with the additional drivers. You may well be surprised at the difference adding parents/grandparents/siblings makes. But be aware it also raises flags re fraud too (they can track your online behaviour) , so you might be questioned when you take it out - but it's perfectly legitimate to investigate their underwriting assumptions.
    And finally, price isn't always king IMO. The moment of truth is when you claim. Service should be a much bigger differentiator in my opinion.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    Handicap 11.1
    Dudsbury GC
    Ping supporter!

The only shot I can influence is the next one...

Tour Winner

Update. Contacted Collingwood as recommended by BunkerMagnet. They offer learner only policies and come in about 284 for three months. Once he passes his test, he has to cancel the policy there and they refer to www.autosaint.co.uk (They also do an annual policy but haven't got a quote from them on that because assuming he passes within the year, there are admin fees and stuff to cancel the policy).

Contacted Autosaint, they also do a learner policy, a bit more expensive than collingwood, but they also do an annual policy that starts as a learner with a provisional licence. On the day he passes his test, he phones them and they convert to full licence with no admin or upward charges. No claims starts tracking from day one as a provisional holder. The quote I was given comes in at 1330 for the year, much better.

Another thing that can save you a little money, Many people say their car is kept in a garage (when i reality it never is, but you think its more secure) Its actually more expensive to insure a car in a locked garage than on a driveway. Insurers pay out more for garage dings etc!! May save a few quid.
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots

Journeyman Pro

grab an old banger

insure as a named driver

if they write it off buy a new car .. dont claim
    In the bag
    TM M2 10.5 Driver
    TM M2 3 wood
    Ping G15 5 wood
    TM Jetspeed 3 Hybrid
    TM Jetspeed 4 Hybrid
    Titliest 716 ap1 6-PW
    SM5 vokey wedges 50, 54 , 58 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 2 Ball with superstroke mid 2.0 grip

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    grab an old banger

insure as a named driver

if they write it off buy a new car .. dont claim
    That works until the car they hit is a new one and the repair cost is 10k and the claim for injury another 5k and the insurance refuse to pay out...

Try Admiral Multi-Car Insurance ........................ it worked for me!

We just renewed our daughters insurance and removed ourselves as named drivers from her policy. The premium went down. If we need to drive her car, which rarely happens, we are insured third party from our own separate policies anyway.