Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Handicap help

  1. #31
    Tour Winner Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: Handicap help

    Didn't want to start another new topic so thought I'd just ask in here as it's related to handicap.

    Our club has an annual handicap review in the diary for this Saturday. As I've just done my first year of club membership, this is the first handicap review I've seen. What normally makes people eligible for a cut at the annual review? I buffered the last four comps with 35, 34, 33 & 32 points. Reckon there's any chance or is it not enough? Haven't had a +0.1 since August. Possible I haven't played enough comps though (about one a month).
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

  2. #32
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Didn't want to start another new topic so thought I'd just ask in here as it's related to handicap.

    Our club has an annual handicap review in the diary for this Saturday. As I've just done my first year of club membership, this is the first handicap review I've seen. What normally makes people eligible for a cut at the annual review? I buffered the last four comps with 35, 34, 33 & 32 points. Reckon there's any chance or is it not enough? Haven't had a +0.1 since August. Possible I haven't played enough comps though (about one a month).
    One of those "it's complicated" issues really and the simple answer is to wait and see what happens, don't try and prejudice it!

    In principle, one of the criteria the system will pick up on is the proportion of scores at buffer for any given handicap level. Exact data to trigger a system recommendation is complicated but a 25 handicapper (for example) who plays 10 comps and is in his buffer every time would almost certainly trigger a recommendation for a reduction. A scr golfer with the same stats probably wouldn't!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

    12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

  3. #33
    Tour Winner Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    One of those "it's complicated" issues really and the simple answer is to wait and see what happens, don't try and prejudice it!

    In principle, one of the criteria the system will pick up on is the proportion of scores at buffer for any given handicap level. Exact data to trigger a system recommendation is complicated but a 25 handicapper (for example) who plays 10 comps and is in his buffer every time would almost certainly trigger a recommendation for a reduction. A scr golfer with the same stats probably wouldn't!
    Ok, thanks. Not really trying to predict it, just interesting to see if it's possible. I guess there's a chance, I'll wait and see.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

  4. #34
    Assistant Pro Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    162

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Initial handicaps no longer use the double bogey calculation. It is now twice the par. So a 6 on a par 3 will remain as 6
    Really? Since when?
    2017- 11 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 11.3 > 11.4 > 11.5 > 11.6 > 11.7 > 11.8 > 11.9 (Handicap Review) > 13.4
    2018- 13.4
    In The Bag:

    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 9.5*
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 915 H Hybrid 21*
    Mizuno JPX EZ 16 - 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 - 52,56,60
    Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball Putter

  5. #35
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,889

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Really? Since when?

    yep, news to me as well and I couldn't find anything on the Congu site.

    This is the only change I can see...

    http://www.congu.co.uk/congu-changes-2018/
    Last edited by Cabby; 04-Jan-2018 at 16:18.

  6. #36
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    2,027

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Really? Since when?
    Since the first of January this year. It is part of the revised handicap system that has come in to force.

    The info can be found in the FAQs on England Golf Website relating to the changes.

    Remember it was always triple bogey for ladies so would have gone up to triple bogey for men if they had kept the existing calculation method
    Last edited by jim8flog; 04-Jan-2018 at 17:01.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

  7. #37
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    2,027

    Re: Handicap help

    Note this is only for initial handicaps.

    The net double bogey rule will still apply to players with a handicap.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

  8. #38
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    2,027

    Re: Handicap help

    Just did a quick check to insert a link and found the revised (2018) UHS manual is available for download. You will find it in there and section J Congu club Handicaps has been deleted.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

  9. #39
    Money List Winner rosecott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Posts
    5,758

    Re: Handicap help

    Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Initial handicaps no longer use the double bogey calculation. It is now twice the par. So a 6 on a par 3 will remain as 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Really? Since when?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    yep, news to me as well and I couldn't find anything on the Congu site.

    This is the only change I can see...

    http://www.congu.co.uk/congu-changes-2018/
    The 2018 CONGU manual is available online for download from the England Golf website.

    https://www.englandgolf.org/page.asp...e=Handicapping
    Last edited by rosecott; 04-Jan-2018 at 17:36.

  10. #40
    Assistant Pro Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    162

    Re: Handicap help

    Well blow me down. There's going to be some bandits knocking around now
    2017- 11 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 11.3 > 11.4 > 11.5 > 11.6 > 11.7 > 11.8 > 11.9 (Handicap Review) > 13.4
    2018- 13.4
    In The Bag:

    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 9.5*
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 915 H Hybrid 21*
    Mizuno JPX EZ 16 - 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 - 52,56,60
    Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball Putter

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

WATCH: Patrick Reed US Open Interview

Hear from Masters champion Patrick Reed after his 4th place finish

June 18, 2018

WATCH: Tommy Fleetwood US Open Interview

Hear what US Open runner-up Tommy Fleetwood had to say

June 18, 2018

WATCH: Brooks Koepka US Open Winner’s Interview

Hear what the US Open champ had to say after winning the tournament again

June 18, 2018

Did the USGA go too far? US Open 2018 Verdict

Man-made farce or captivating drama? Neil Tappin offers his US Open 2018 Verdict about a tournament that will be remembered as much for the organisers as the winner.

June 18, 2018

Brooks Koepka What’s In The Bag?

Here we look at Brooks Koepka's US Open winning WITB

June 17, 2018