Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot GC

Re: Royal Ascot GC

did we really need to be saddled with all these horse jokes
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Assistant Pro

Thwarted by the weather, course is closed (as are many around here it seems). Now going to The Hampshire instead.

Assistant Pro

Finally got to play it yesterday. Nice easy starting par 3, was a bit short off the tee but got par. I'm not a long driver and so came up just short of the ditch on the 2nd. Greenkeeper was waiting for me to play my next shot but I misfired, which was just as well as I didn't realise the hole doglegged right and a well hit shot would have been out of bounds.

The 3rd has a wide area before the fairway that is denoted "environmentally sensitive" and cannot be entered, of course my drive dropped right into it.

I must complain about the state of the bunkers....they had proper sand in them! I've been practising all winter in bunkers as hard as concrete, how was I supposed to play in sand...

Play was pretty quick, completed in 3 1/2 hours even though I had to wait on the last few holes. All in all I enjoyed it.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck View Post
    even though I had to wait on the last few holes.
    Probably Homer was in front of you videoing himself....................
    --------------------
    Handicap : 5 (4.6)

Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Adams Tight Lies 3 and 5 fairways
    Mizuno MP60 Irons 3-PW
    Titleist Vokey 52* & 60* Wedges
    Scotty Studio Select Fastback 1.5

Finally got to play it yesterday. Nice easy starting par 3,
    I'm sure Homer keeps going on about how tough an opening hole it is. Maybe you need to give him tips on how to play it

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I'm sure Homer keeps going on about how tough an opening hole it is. Maybe you need to give him tips on how to play it
    Only 160 off the yellows. 229 off the whites with a tree encroaching off the tee. Different beast altogether

Finally got to play it yesterday. Nice easy starting par 3, was a bit short off the tee but got par. I'm not a long driver and so came up just short of the ditch on the 2nd. Greenkeeper was waiting for me to play my next shot but I misfired, which was just as well as I didn't realise the hole doglegged right and a well hit shot would have been out of bounds.

The 3rd has a wide area before the fairway that is denoted "environmentally sensitive" and cannot be entered, of course my drive dropped right into it.

I must complain about the state of the bunkers....they had proper sand in them! I've been practising all winter in bunkers as hard as concrete, how was I supposed to play in sand...

Play was pretty quick, completed in 3 1/2 hours even though I had to wait on the last few holes. All in all I enjoyed it.
    Glad you enjoyed it and made good time. Shame you couldn't have played last week after the Jamega Tour had been in town and the greens were pure and lightening quick. We've done a lot of work on the greens and it's a continuing work in practice. The environmental area has claimed many a ball so don't worry about it. It's a course that has a few nuances and you need to learn where you can and can't put it on each hole but I hope you'll return and perhaps we can get a game

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    shame you couldn't have played last week after the Jamega Tour had been in town and the greens were pure and lightening quick.
    Would they have deteriorated much in a week?

Q-School Graduate

Oh and we need more horse puns, missed this thread first time around but had a good chortle reading through it 😂

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Would they have deteriorated much in a week?
    Didn't seem to have, they were very fast. I had plenty of chips/putts that I thought would end up within a couple of feet but reality ended up 6 feet past.