Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Maximum One Prize Per Player

Posting this in the dead of winter in the hope it doesn't sound like sour grapes! In fact I've been on both sides of this - losing out on a prize sometimes and getting a better prize than I deserved on others.

You know the scenario - an open competition with both scratch and handicap prizes and someone shoots a score that is one of the best in each category. But due to the "one prize per player" rule they only get one.

Strikes me as pretty unfair but also leads to some strange anomalies such as the player who shot the best scratch score walking away with the third handicap prize instead since that was higher value. I know I've taken the best scratch prize in the past despite knowing at least one player had a better score than me - and that doesn't seem right.

What's the forum view? I can see it as reasonable in a fun competition, society outing or such but is it fair at a club open, or a county competition, a national competition? Where, if anywhere, would you draw the line?
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP3 Irons 5-PW, 48*
    Vokey 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

Paid up member of the PC Brigade.

Re: Maximum One Prize Per Player

I've refused a prize under these circumstances. How could I accept 1st in div 1 when someone else has scooped the best gross, and had a better nett score than me? I was second best nett, why give me a prize for best nett?
    Give it big humpties

Ryder Cup Winner

It’s a tough one, a way round it I suppose is you can only enter 1 comp, the scratch or handicap and not both then take the chances.

I don’t agree with the one prize rule personally

I don’t agree with one prize only - a couple of times in the Invitational at Woburn we have won the 18 on the Marquess then the 9 on the Duchess so won overall - we were only allowed to win the overall - bro in law asked the question why we could only win one - answer “ that’s not fair “ so basically the people that got prizes that were the same value as ours actually came 2nd

Money List Winner

I would say that it depends on whether the competition was specifically a handicap comp with a best gross prize or a scratch comp with a best net. also it would depend on whether the prize was simply monetary (or equivalent) or a specific trophy.

In a handicap comp it would probably be expected that the net prizes were better than the gross one and vice versa.

it is a tricky one though but I do think that one prize per player is the best way.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17°
    WS Fybrid RS 23°
    WS Fybrid RS 26°
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

I agree with the one prize only idea, I'm primarily there to enjoy the golf not pick up prizes.
    You still win the nett and gross for instance, you just don't win a second prize for doing so.

Anyway, I'd be embarrassed if I was the golfer who kept going up and taking the top prizes.
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.0
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

Money List Winner

Fairness only comes into it if the prizes aren't labeled first, and the priorities defined.
    Beyond that it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Fairness only comes into it if the prizes aren't labeled first, and the priorities defined.
    Beyond that it is what it is
    Totally agree. If the comp is advertised as one prize only, fine but seeing committee members making it up on the hoof isn't right.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Totally agree. If the comp is advertised as one prize only, fine but seeing committee members making it up on the hoof isn't right.
    That's kind of a separate issue, and certainly worse, but I don't see why someone shouldn't get both if their score merits them. Just lends weight to the golf as a "pastime" rather than "sport" argument.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP3 Irons 5-PW, 48*
    Vokey 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

Paid up member of the PC Brigade.

Money List Winner

I've no great issue with it provided it's clearly defined. Never had it happen to me in the main competition, but had it in one competition with the spot prizes. Was nearest to the pin on the nominated par 3, came to 18 which was the longest drive hole. One of my playing partners put it 15 yards past the marker, I then got it another 5 past him. We only put my name on the marker as nothing had been said. Only when the prizes were handed out was it mentioned that there was only one prize per person and the long drive prize handed out to the name I'd replaced on the marker, despite vigorous protests that it should have been given to my playing partner.
    Cuddington GC Annual Singles winner 2017