Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Club Champion

Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

Interesting topic. I think you are correct. I'm 32 and have come from triathlon which has a lot of money and executive types in it. It's not uncommon to see amateurs with bikes worth over 5k and people receiving paid coaching etc. As a big guy I'm not your average build for endurance sports and trying to keep on top of 3 sports in your free time is very time and energy consuming. Right now I'm studying for a promotion exam at work so have shelved it. I neither have the time or am able to spend the rest of the day exhausted. Golf has proved a great outlet for me, a blend of technical and social and a mental escape from work/study. I don't go home tired after a round of golf either so I can still concentrate if I am going to work or getting my head in a book. Not sure I will go back to triathlon TBH, it's too all-consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by BristolMike View Post
    You could be on to something. Not being able to play football is one of the main reasons I took up golf, then I fell in love with the game. I know a few others in a similar position
    I still play both but it was as I was nearing 30 and thinking that I wouldn't be able to keep playing football forever, which in part pushed me back towards playing golf more regularly.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2

Strangely enough MIB I have banged on at my place with the same message. Every new 45 year old will pay the full price whereas younger members get significant discounts. I suggested they use some of the annual subs to give new 'oldies' a few lessons, teach tgem some rules and bring in the swindle organisers into the plan so that there is immediately a game to integrate these newbies. Hopefully, they will then bring their kids to the game.

As you would expect no one is interested. Also, this would be additional to trying to recruit the 30'ish year olds
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    The ongoing point is 50%, approx, of the population are female yet very few play golf. That is an untapped market which sounds great to anyone with a business mind. Problem is no matter how much is ploughed in it seems not to work, or with very limited results. Move those resources to attract the people MiB is talking about and the return it likely to be much greater.

It is painful for anyone in business to turn away from a large potential market but sometimes it just makes sense. I should add, my point is not to turn away female golfers or neglect them, just accept it has limited appeal and concentrate elsewhere on growing the game.
    Add in the fact that in a lot of clubs the demographic of the female membership is high, it's an area that well run clubs will look to address as there is a big market and they are a vital part of the club. Our ladies section still have Tuesday morning set aside for their comps/matches etc and it's a day the club knows it'll get reasonable revenue from food and drink. Add in the fact that many do a lot for the club behind the scenes too and it has to be a win-win to get more and ideally younger members who'll be around for a number of years

From my experience not all juniors give up completely. They just play elsewhere after they have gone to university, joined the forces or moved location to get a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by srixon 1 View Post
    From my experience not all juniors give up completely. They just play elsewhere after they have gone to university, joined the forces or moved location to get a better job.
    True. Some will drift away (beer and women) but may pick it up later. Others get good and maybe go to better clubs and some as you say do other things like uni, move or serve in the forces. I think it's good if a club can get them as real youngsters (my club is running junior academies and starting to get some good interest) and then keep them for a few years. Granted they don't bring anything significant to revenue lines but I think it's always good to see a club with a thriving junior section

Club Champion

I think if you only think of the benefit of the club you will become disheartened when people leave. It's for the mutual benefit of the sport to get people interested young. They will likely come back, just maybe not to you. If everyone took the mindset of growing the sport rather than growing the club the benefit will be there for everyone in the sport... in time. Probably take a generation though.

It sounds like something the governing body should be making more of an effort in. It could well be they are, I'm just new to the sport and don't know of the schemes.

Scoop, the governing body do a lot but golf struggles because it is not and never will be a school sport. You have to attract new players cold, the hardest thing to do.

Your point is very admirable but it's tough to ask a club to put time and money into a group of people but barely see any benefit directly long term. That is where England golf comes in but they need clubs to embrace the policy too.