Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Tour Winner Maninblack4612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    South Shields
    Posts
    3,319

    Free Balls - good start to the year

    Received my copy of Golf Monthly today. As I expected, the letter I wrote in December was letter of the month. 6 dozen Pro V1s, thank you very much.

    I knew when I wrote it that it had a good chance. I've had a bee in my bonnet for a long time that clubs are doing it wrong trying to attract young members. What I'm sure would be effective is trying to reach members of sports clubs who are getting too old for their chosen sports. I used to play rugby, cricket & tennis at a local club & many of the former members from 50 years ago I now see on the golf course.

    Once a sportsman, always a sportsman. Go after the older folks with a bit of disposable income. Younger players are always more likely to be "pay & play"
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

  2. #2
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,009

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Ever the voice of reason
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

  3. #3
    Q-School Graduate
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    918

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Received my copy of Golf Monthly today. As I expected, the letter I wrote in December was letter of the month. 6 dozen Pro V1s, thank you very much.

    I knew when I wrote it that it had a good chance. I've had a bee in my bonnet for a long time that clubs are doing it wrong trying to attract young members. What I'm sure would be effective is trying to reach members of sports clubs who are getting too old for their chosen sports. I used to play rugby, cricket & tennis at a local club & many of the former members from 50 years ago I now see on the golf course.

    Once a sportsman, always a sportsman. Go after the older folks with a bit of disposable income. Younger players are always more likely to be "pay & play"
    You could be on to something. Not being able to play football is one of the main reasons I took up golf, then I fell in love with the game. I know a few others in a similar position

  4. #4
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,009

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    BM - For me it was hockey.

    Clubs for years have thrown money at juniors and ladies yet many, not all, struggle to gain new members in those groups. MiB is right, imo, in targeting the groups suggested as they are far more likely to join and keep playing. I'd love bigger junior and ladies sections but historically those drives for membership have not given much back. A pragmatic view.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

  5. #5
    Ryder Cup Winner Pin-seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13,166

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    BM - For me it was hockey.

    Clubs for years have thrown money at juniors and ladies yet many, not all, struggle to gain new members in those groups. MiB is right, imo, in targeting the groups suggested as they are far more likely to join and keep playing. I'd love bigger junior and ladies sections but historically those drives for membership have not given much back. A pragmatic view.
    I never understand this obsession with getting more women to play golf.
    If women want to play golf then great,but if not I can’t see why it really matters.

  6. #6
    Journeyman Pro Jimaroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    1,669

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Golf needs to attract people of all ages and sex. Narrowing the focus might indeed help with the bread&butter finance of clubs but taking a narrow focus is also one golf's biggest problems in my opinion.
    I like putting. (2017 handicap: 11.2...10.0)

  7. #7
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Havering
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Wow that’s epic! I got a sleeve of pro v1s off them for a question I posted on this forum and I was happy with that

    You must be over the moon!

  8. #8
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,009

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Pin-seeker View Post
    I never understand this obsession with getting more women to play golf.
    If women want to play golf then great,but if not I can’t see why it really matters.
    The ongoing point is 50%, approx, of the population are female yet very few play golf. That is an untapped market which sounds great to anyone with a business mind. Problem is no matter how much is ploughed in it seems not to work, or with very limited results. Move those resources to attract the people MiB is talking about and the return it likely to be much greater.

    It is painful for anyone in business to turn away from a large potential market but sometimes it just makes sense. I should add, my point is not to turn away female golfers or neglect them, just accept it has limited appeal and concentrate elsewhere on growing the game.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

  9. #9
    Journeyman Pro Curls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    I'll give you £50 for the lot

    Great stuff MIB that really is a nice start to the year - well done!
    1W, 3W Titleist 915
    4h Adams A7OS
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - 9i Mizuno MP54
    46, 50, 54, 58* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 9.6

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner Pin-seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13,166

    Re: Free Balls - good start to the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    The ongoing point is 50%, approx, of the population are female yet very few play golf. That is an untapped market which sounds great to anyone with a business mind. Problem is no matter how much is ploughed in it seems not to work, or with very limited results. Move those resources to attract the people MiB is talking about and the return it likely to be much greater.

    It is painful for anyone in business to turn away from a large potential market but sometimes it just makes sense. I should add, my point is not to turn away female golfers or neglect them, just accept it has limited appeal and concentrate elsewhere on growing the game.
    Spot on.
    Golf just doesn’t appeal to the majority of women & no matter how you dress it up it never will.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

WATCH: Tiger Woods Clinic

The 14-time major winner gave a clinic at his new course and he was on form!

April 20, 2018

Charley Hull’s Unexpected Club Change For LA Open

England's Charley Hull struggled to adapt to her new equipment in the LA Open after British Airways lost her clubs.

April 20, 2018

How Golf Has Changed Since Arsene Wenger Took Over At Arsenal

Arsene Wenger announced that he will be leaving Arsenal after 22 years. Here's what golf looked like when he took over in October 1996...

April 20, 2018

Irish Stars to play in Adare Manor curtain-raiser

As part of a stunning new design at the Limerick-based course, Adare Manor is hosting a charity event to celebrate its opening.

April 20, 2018

17 Ways To Tell You’re Obsessed With Golf

The tell-tale signs that you are a true golf fanatic

April 19, 2018