Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Help with planning Scotland trip

5th - 8th July.

The Scottish open is the week after at gullane, so thinking about it, might not be able to play there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    5th - 8th July.

The Scottish open is the week after at gullane, so thinking about it, might not be able to play there anyway
    no i don't think you would. they use a composite course so a couple of holes used on No2

Journeyman Pro

In some ways, that would make my life easier! Too much choice isn't a good thing!

I might go with the option of getting over to St Andrews straight away on the Thursday and playing one of the courses and using it to get our bearings.

EDIT: Dukes on a twilight (40) looks like an option
    Handicap: 12

In some ways, that would make my life easier! Too much choice isn't a good thing!

I might go with the option of getting over to St Andrews straight away on the Thursday and playing one of the courses and using it to get our bearings.

Hate to hear that all that way and play a parkland course

spread some cash and play another local course.... links of course

Enjoy

I like the Dukes, it's a good test of golf and can be very long if you go off the back tees.

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I like the Dukes, it's a good test of golf and can be very long if you go off the back tees.
    Don't forget your sand wedge!

Journeyman Pro

A bit late to this but, can I say, if the weather is round, I'm not so sure you'll be so keen to play so many links courses back to back, if it's howling, you'll be wanting a break believe me, something to consider.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I have never met or spoken to a single golfer that has been disappointed with TOC after playing it for the 1st time.
    Well I'll add to it. Name me a great hole on St Andrews Old Course please. Teeing off on the first and crossing the Swilken bridge are the highlights of St Andrews.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    Well I'll add to it. Name me a great hole on St Andrews Old Course please. Teeing off on the first and crossing the Swilken bridge are the highlights of St Andrews.
    Sacrilege, how very dare you criticise the hallowed turf of the home of golf. Everyone knows that every hole on there is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    But it's not about course comparisons is it, it's the hallowed course that if you are a golfer and enjoy it's history, it's a must play course in your lifetime.

I'm not looking for eye candy all the way around on such a course, just to be walking in the footsteps of namesakes long gone would give me the shivers, irrelevant of the hole I'm playing, it's about the whole experience of playing it that once, not judging it hole by hole as a playing golfer per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Sacrilege, how very dare you criticise the hallowed turf of the home of golf. Everyone knows that every hole on there is fantastic.
    Nobody has said that every hole is fantastic, that's just a stupid comment in an attempt to restore your negative comment stating that we'd be disappointed other than a couple of obvious holes, which many have disagreed with, and rightly so.