Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Help with planning Scotland trip

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    normally if you are disappointed in something it's taken that one didn't like it
    What normally happens is folk have great expectations in life and find that their expectations don't always live up to the hype, doesn't mean they don't like something

guest100718

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    I would like to have the opportunity to be disappointed but luck hasn't been on my side.
    Yeah me too, im thinking of trying my luck as a single this year or find someone to do the ballot with.

Journeyman Pro

Hi guys,

We've decided to go with basing ourselves at St Andrews and doing the three day ticket, so pre booking the Castle, New and Jubilee (for play in the morning) and then depending on how much energy we've got, playing the Eden / Strathtyrum in the afternoon / evening, or 9 holes or something.

We'll be arriving in to Edinburgh airport, early (about 8:30am) on the Thursday, and I haven't quite decided where we will play that day.

Options:

Gullane no 2 and no3 on a day ticket

or

somewhere in the right direction for where we are staying, which will be an airbnb either in St Andrews or somewhere not far away. Seems to be good availability in places like Anstruther and Pitenweem and we're not bothered about the extra driving. Options in that direction seem plentiful.

I've heard very good things about Gullane, but is it worth going 40 mins in the wrong directoin from Edinburgh airport for? Part of me thinks we're trying to squeeze in too much doing that.

Suggestions would be most welcome.
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Hi guys,

We've decided to go with basing ourselves at St Andrews and doing the three day ticket, so pre booking the Castle, New and Jubilee (for play in the morning) and then depending on how much energy we've got, playing the Eden / Strathtyrum in the afternoon / evening, or 9 holes or something.

We'll be arriving in to Edinburgh airport, early (about 8:30am) on the Thursday, and I haven't quite decided where we will play that day.

Options:

Gullane no 2 and no3 on a day ticket

or

somewhere in the right direction for where we are staying, which will be an airbnb either in St Andrews or somewhere not far away. Seems to be good availability in places like Anstruther and Pitenweem and we're not bothered about the extra driving. Options in that direction seem plentiful.

I've heard very good things about Gullane, but is it worth going 40 mins in the wrong directoin from Edinburgh airport for? Part of me thinks we're trying to squeeze in too much doing that.

Suggestions would be most welcome.
    Yes Gullane is a bit of a trek and TBH the Edinburgh Bypass is to be avoided unless you can help it.

But if you do decide no2 is pretty good and not far behind No1 TBH, only one hole thats a bit mmmeh, which is the 3rd up the hill.

I would have a look at either Scottscraig which is heathland or my personnel preference is Monifieth a lovely gentle links course just the other side of Dundee. will be a nice warm up for New and Jubilee. Greens are usually superb as well.

Journeyman Pro

Thanks Patrick.

Are they worth the extra drive compared to somewhere like Lundin, Leven, Crail, Elie, Earlsferry? Which are very much on the route that we will be taking.

And how much better is Gullane no2 than any of those options?

I don't mind the extra driving for any course, so long as it's worth it compared to playing somewhere which doesn't involve the drive. If you see what I mean?
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Thanks Patrick.

Are they worth the extra drive compared to somewhere like Lundin, Leven, Crail, Elie, Earlsferry? Which are very much on the route that we will be taking.

And how much better is Gullane no2 than any of those options?

I don't mind the extra driving for any course, so long as it's worth it compared to playing somewhere which doesn't involve the drive. If you see what I mean?
    I think Monifeith is up there with those mentioned.

Not a fan of Crail at all, a bit featureless and samey IMO. got a couple of good holes but no more than that.

Lundin and Leven are right next to each other with the clubhouses at opposite ends. I think both are about the same though Lundin seems to be higher rated. Not played Ellie, but is supposed to be good, but no better than the others i'm told.

its a case of how long you want to take to get to your B&B after the game? the traffic can be pretty terrible on the ring road and over the bridge.

I play Gullane at least a couple of times a year as a have mates who are members and both are really good though never played 3.

I think that you should just hot foot it from the airport to St Andrews. That way you should be able to get onto the Eden before you kick off your 3 day ticket. Trust me, St Andrews is just awesome. Glynn and I played at Leven last time we went up and whilst it wasn't bad, we both agreed that we would head straight for St Andrews the next time out as it just makes you feel special.
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Medal Winner

Downfield is a cracking course and not to much of a drive from St Andrews.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    I think Monifeith is up there with those mentioned.

Not a fan of Crail at all, a bit featureless and samey IMO. got a couple of good holes but no more than that.

Lundin and Leven are right next to each other with the clubhouses at opposite ends. I think both are about the same though Lundin seems to be higher rated. Not played Ellie, but is supposed to be good, but no better than the others i'm told.

its a case of how long you want to take to get to your B&B after the game? the traffic can be pretty terrible on the ring road and over the bridge.

I play Gullane at least a couple of times a year as a have mates who are members and both are really good though never played 3.
    No 3 is a great wee course, it is like a great championship course scaled down by about 20%.
    Smaller greens and bunkers plus tighter fairways
    As a teenager I once went round it in 60 (30-30] but take care as it can also seriously embarrass you.
    Not a course to be judged on it's length/par.

What dates have you planned.
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing