Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Help with planning Scotland trip

Quote Originally Posted by Curls View Post
    Nice one - I see from your Avatar you've had the pleasure! Really looking forward to it, will probably go midweek in August and like you say 3 nights in town should see me right. Some folk say turning up in the afternoon can actually work but I kinda reckon I'll be one of the dozens of singles standing around the hut at first light!
    If you go in August then check the dates of the Eden/Strathtyrum competitions as they run for a full week and the Eden, New and Jubilee courses will be busy. Accommodation will also book up very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Thanks FairwayDodger - as we'd be relying on the ballot for the old course, I presume St Andrews is well worth it even if you don't get on?
    I got 2 of us onto the ballot very easily in August. The details are on their website but basically ring them 48 hours(?) before. Tell them if you have any specific requirements, e.g. no trollies before 11am and there's no way I couldn't get round without a trolley. We booked caddies too - worth every penny and more. They do save you a few shots but its also their knowledge of the history and the stories they share.
    Give it big humpties

Journeyman Pro

Great - thank you.

I'm leaning towards going for St Andrews, (Thursday to Sunday) with a 3 day advanced booking ticket. We'd try the old course ballot too, and then if not sucessful play another course - there are plenty to choose from afterall!

I'm still tempted to play Carnoustie, but that would reduce the chances of getting the Old Course (one less ballot day), and would ramp up the cost. Could be as much as 250 for the 3 day pass, 180 for the old course and 200 for Carnoustie if we got through the ballot! Not sure how we'd get value for money out of the 3 day pass if that were to happen....

Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Or.....thinking out loud a bit here....

Early flight to Edinburgh and Gullane 2 and 3 for 68 on the Thursday, 3 days St Andrews (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    If you go in August then check the dates of the Eden/Strathtyrum competitions as they run for a full week and the Eden, New and Jubilee courses will be busy. Accommodation will also book up very quickly.
    Nice tip - thanks d4s!

Looks like week 13-18 is out
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4h Adams A7OS
    5i - 9i Mizuno MP54
    46, 50, 54, 58* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 9.4

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Great - thank you.

I'm leaning towards going for St Andrews, (Thursday to Sunday) with a 3 day advanced booking ticket. We'd try the old course ballot too, and then if not sucessful play another course - there are plenty to choose from afterall!

I'm still tempted to play Carnoustie, but that would reduce the chances of getting the Old Course (one less ballot day), and would ramp up the cost. Could be as much as 250 for the 3 day pass, 180 for the old course and 200 for Carnoustie if we got through the ballot! Not sure how we'd get value for money out of the 3 day pass if that were to happen....

Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Or.....thinking out loud a bit here....

Early flight to Edinburgh and Gullane 2 and 3 for 68 on the Thursday, 3 days St Andrews (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).
    Just be aware that the Old Course is always closed on Sundays.

Or take advantage of Links with History and play Crail,Lundin Links,Ladybank and Scotscraig some cracking golf to be had there all within a short drive of St Andrews
    www.linkswithhistory.com
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Old course is closed on Sundays.

Journeyman Pro

I've said this before to some considerable criticism but you'll be disappointed in the Old Course. Great going down 1 and up 17/18 but you'll be thinking it's not all that but if it's a box to tick then ye go for it. The medal at Carnoustie won't leave you disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    I've said this before to some considerable criticism but you'll be disappointed in the Old Course. Great going down 1 and up 17/18 but you'll be thinking it's not all that but if it's a box to tick then ye go for it. The medal at Carnoustie won't leave you disappointed.
    I have never met or spoken to a single golfer that has been disappointed with TOC after playing it for the 1st time.

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I have never met or spoken to a single golfer that has been disappointed with TOC after playing it for the 1st time.
    +1 to that, i would play the Old Course very happily for the rest of my days if i could
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing