Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Balls Lost

No Balls Lost

Ok so I am an unofficial 18 handicapper who usually loses 5 - 8 balls a round. I normally buy srixon distance or something around that price basically because I lose so many.

I'm not one to spend ages looking but will have a look then get annoyed & drop one.

I bought a sleeve of the volvik vivid orange balls before goING out today & couldn't believe getting round 18 holes with 1 ball. I didn't play particularly well but not loosing a ball made it feel like a great round.

These balls are obviously dearer than my normal balls but I always felt confident I would spot my ball.

I have read some negative reviews on these regarding feel & spin but to be honest I don't hit the ball consistently enough to notice

I know my next round I will hit 10 balls out of bounds but today I am chuffed. That's all

Re: No Balls Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsearle1405 View Post
    Ok so I am an unofficial 18 handicapper who usually loses 5 - 8 balls a round. I normally buy srixon distance or something around that price basically because I lose so many.

I'm not one to spend ages looking but will have a look then get annoyed & drop one.

I bought a sleeve of the volvik vivid orange balls before goING out today & couldn't believe getting round 18 holes with 1 ball. I didn't play particularly well but not loosing a ball made it feel like a great round.

These balls are obviously dearer than my normal balls but I always felt confident I would spot my ball.

I have read some negative reviews on these regarding feel & spin but to be honest I don't hit the ball consistently enough to notice

I know my next round I will hit 10 balls out of bounds but today I am chuffed. That's all
    Well done. I did a negative review and it's a ball I don't like in terms of feel at all but it really doesn't matter what you use if you're playing well enough to not lose one. Out of interest how come you are losing so many per round. Is it issues off the tee and do you have a plan B if the driver is misbehaving

Plan B would be to pull out my hybrid but to be honest my driving is pretty steady. I tend to lose balls in leaves mainly or by the time I've waited for playing partners I've misplaced where I'm looking. I think a lot has to do with concentration, today I could spot the ball a mile off, had a couple of near misses in bushes but then it just sticks out lol

Money List Winner

Our clubs started selling them....picked up 2 last time out
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Assistant Pro

5 to 8 balls a round? That’s 10 to 16 shots over before you start but you’re an 18? I would look closer at what is costing me so many penalty strokes and leave that club at home. Assuming driver, teeing off with 3 wood or hybrid isn’t as exciting or manly as driver but when you score well it makes up for it, works for me anyway!

As many as 8 balls lost in a round and you're around 18 handicap?? I'm off 23 but if I lost 3 balls in one round I'd think that was pretty terrible.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    As many as 8 balls lost in a round and you're around 18 handicap?? I'm off 23 but if I lost 3 balls in one round I'd think that was pretty terrible.
    Depends on the course I suppose. Maybe it’s very woody or lakey. It’s very easy to lose balls on my course. Lots of burns, Woods and thick rough. I lose 2 or 3 every round sometimes more if it’s a real bad round. But because of the course I find loads and am usually +4 by the end of 9 holes!

Assistant Pro

We used to do the same, ie drop a shot rather than spend time looking for lost balls.
    Was telling the local pro about this and he said, even that even though it's "mate's rules" if we aren't going back to where we took the original shot we should drop 2 shots as we're not losing distance.

So that's what we do now.

Can be very painful in winter with low sun and blinding frost reflections making it bloody hard to find even some reasonable shots

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsearle1405 View Post

Which is the correct thinking - the next thought being to ignore the reviews and the ball you are using...and as others have said - sort out your game off the tee - so go to a hybrid or 4-5W.

And again - as others have said - if you lose 5-8 balls a round you are not going to be 18 h/cap so don't fool yourself into that thinking, you need to accept your are probably more like mid-20s and in that acceptance you'll know that you won't get to 18 without stopping losing balls as you do.

Good luck and know that you can sort it and that you will go to the 18 h/cap ball - fairy godmother permitting
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Head Pro

18 handicapper losing 5 to 8 balls per round? That is 10-16 penalty shots!! I suggest you get down to Specsavers, invest in a decent pair of glasses so you can find these balls and you'll soon be Cat 1