Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PMQs

Re: PMQs

If the link works, it highlights how much of it is used these days

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...itics-42269771

I do agree that we have far too many MPs with far too little experience of life in general, whether that be in industry, defense, health or whatever. I think this is a problem throughout politics and not just Westminister, there are so many career Management in Local Government/NHS/ Social Services Et-Al that have no concept of working at the coal face, I think it should be compulsory for state Managers to have a minimum shop floor experience. Career Politicians should be scrapped in favor of experienced people. A good start would be a scheme whereby a precursor to being accepted for a University Degree would be a three year apprenticeship that gave suitable underpinning experience in the subject. Degrees in Politics should be scrapped.
    Play it cool Trigger!

To a large extent I think PMQ has become a platform for soundbite politics and cheap points scoring. Within hours of standing up, both the PM and Corbyn have edited versions on Youtube and their party websites, which can skew the perspectives, whereas the SNP don't (creatively) edit their questions to the PM nor the answers.

In the main, I see it as poor shallow politics. There's little in the way of decent, statesman or stateswoman type politicians out there at present. Some good, competent politicians, but few who look to have that genuine concern for the country that goes beyond party politics.
    Give it big humpties

Does anyone actually sit down with a cuppa to watch PMQs....?
    Seriously, some people need to get out more.
    Go to a zoo and watch the chimps instead...
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Ryder Cup Winner

On the other hand Scottish FMQ is just great.
    It gives us a regular update on how utterly incompetent the Scots Lab/Con/Lib politicians are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    It gives us a regular update on how utterly incompetent the Scots Lab/Con/Lib politicians are.
    Do they get the facts correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    I do agree that we have far too many MPs with far too little experience of life in general, whether that be in industry, defense, health or whatever. I think this is a problem throughout politics and not just Westminster, there are so many career Management in Local Government/NHS/ Social Services Et-Al that have no concept of working at the coal face, I think it should be compulsory for state Managers to have a minimum shop floor experience. Career Politicians should be scrapped in favor of experienced people. A good start would be a scheme whereby a precursor to being accepted for a University Degree would be a three year apprenticeship that gave suitable underpinning experience in the subject. Degrees in Politics should be scrapped.

A big thumbs up from me ...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Do they get the facts correct?
    Whilst I agree with Doon that FMQ does beat PMQ for quality I would suggest he needs to back up his claim about the incompetents... recent polls indicate Labour are back in second place and, in the main, would take seats from the SNP. This sees pro-independence parties in the Scottish parliament losing their majority 'v' those that support unionism... if the SNP is still losing support, following the loss of seats at the GE, who is the real incompetents?
    Give it big humpties

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Whilst I agree with Doon that FMQ does beat PMQ for quality I would suggest he needs to back up his claim about the incompetents... recent polls indicate Labour are back in second place and, in the main, would take seats from the SNP. This sees pro-independence parties in the Scottish parliament losing their majority 'v' those that support unionism... if the SNP is still losing support, following the loss of seats at the GE, who is the real incompetents?

There are 56 Regional MSP's to add to the 73 elected MSP's.

Many of the Unionist supporting party regional MSP's made it to Holyrood with a resounding public vote of between 2000 to 5000 votes.
    If it was a FPTP system like Westminster there would only be about a dozen opposition MSP's at Holyrood.

http://www.parliament.scot/ResearchB...y_Party_S5.pdf

Labour just ahead of the Tories in the recent polls but both still miles behind SNP.

Steady Doon...

We almost have unilateral consensus on a political thread - that PMQs is rubbish, don't spoil it.

Really enjoying the fact no-one's posting on the Article 50 thread currently, hopefully stays that way until after hols when we're all skint and miserable and argumentative again.

Maybe SILH will have forgiven his detractors by then too!