Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PMQs

Tour Rookie

PMQs

Simple question really: What is the point and what is the benefit for our Country?

Adittionally from a cost basis how much is it likely to cost on an annual basis?

Re: PMQs

The point is to hold the PM to account. It fails completely in this, it is just a tribal shouting match. It is an embarrassment but politicians in their bubble think it is great.

In answer to your second question, the only cost would be additional security incurred when moving the PM to and from parliament when they otherwise would not be there.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Challenge Tour Pro

Its a sound bite contest and not much more. At least thats how I feel about it.

There's a debate on another forum about desirable experience before being an MP.. to break the Uni, Researcher , MP cycle and get some folk who have had real jobs...

...I'm at my first Public Sector Client, and I see plenty of stuff I've not seen in 25 years in the Private Sector!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    There's a debate on another forum about desirable experience before being an MP.. to break the Uni, Researcher , MP cycle and get some folk who have had real jobs...

...I'm at my first Public Sector Client, and I see plenty of stuff I've not seen in 25 years in the Private Sector!
    I think that is a really interesting suggestion. I think one of the reasons we currently have such a poor batch of politicians is that they are mainly part of this cycle and have no outside experience or understanding of what people are going through outside the bubble.

I remember going on a UKTI organised trip about 3-4 yrs ago and got friendly with a cracking couple of blokes who were experts in the field of disabled access, improvements to facilities etc. They were doing a lot of work in Sochi for the winter Olympics and were hoping to pick up business in Rio. They worked a lot with local councils and were hugely scathing about people at the top. "Why are they paid such huge sums?" "To win and retain talent" "But all of the Chief Execs in the country (2013/4) have only ever worked in the public sector! They are unemployable in the private sector, no one would want them, and none have been poached from private companies" I'm not sure anything has changed. Anyway, my point is MP's, local govt, policy makers etc need to break away from having a career purely in that field as they simply continue the mistakes of before as that is how they have been trained and brought through. They need fresh eyes.

One of the unpalatable truths about attracting new blood to be an MP is that the salary needs to increase. They try this every so often but the public outcry and self flagellation stops it from happening. So, we remain stuck the people IanM has mentioned.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Challenge Tour Pro

What also doesn't help are so called 'save seats'. You have really incompetent MPs getting reelected because they are sitting on the right seat. And some become front benchers or ministers.

As an example, just look at America, it needed a pedofile to lose Alabama for the Republicans, and that just about. Not saying you have any MPs like that, just to demonstrate that in a save seat you can afford nearly anything, and incompetence is not even close to get you out.

Ryder Cup Winner

Interestingly having worked as a local authority PO in England and Scotland.

I found the English chief/top level officers to be pretty smart cookies and the MP's a bit dim.
    It was the other way round with Scottish MSP's.

Broad generalisation of course.

Right now I see the PM is once again telling downright lies in replying to the Scottish MP's.
    Are her advisors/writers really so dim to feed her this guff, or is she totally unaware as to what is going on outside of the Westminster bubble.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    The point is to hold the PM to account. It fails completely in this, it is just a tribal shouting match. It is an embarrassment but politicians in their bubble think it is great.
    It really annoys me when politicians totally ignore the question they have been asked and instead come out with a prepared soundbite which has little or no relevance to the question.

PMQs is the worst example of this.

Maybe they should remove tv cameras like it used to be. Points scoring waste of time. Current PM is so locked into defensive mode she daren't answer a thing it seems.

Q: What time is it?
    A: Cheese on toast!

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Interestingly having worked as a local authority PO in England and Scotland.

I found the English chief/top level officers to be pretty smart cookies and the MP's a bit dim.
    It was the other way round with Scottish MSP's.

Broad generalisation of course.

Right now I see the PM is once again telling downright lies in replying to the Scottish MP's.
    Are her advisors/writers really so dim to feed her this guff, or is she totally unaware as to what is going on outside of the Westminster bubble.
    Maybe the PM is misreading who said what