Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Qualifiers

Non Qualifiers

Little advice please.

Does anyone play at a club that has a qualifying / non-qualifying season as such?

We run qualifiers year round, but was discussing with a committee member as most go to non qualifiers through temp greens, he would like to have more social events through the winter.

However he believes the county insist on a medal each month. If you do have a season at your club do you still have events if so what kind?

Re: Non Qualifiers

Once our qualifiers finish in late Oct we then have a run of Xmas comps which are pairs, lots of different formats then after Xmas not a lot on so pro runs a pro shop comp, pairs again .

Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkShaun View Post
    However he believes the county insist on a medal each month. If you do have a season at your club do you still have events if so what kind?
    First time I've ever heard that a county have insisted on a medal each month, in fact why do they think that they can dictate what comps a club plays. Not the case with any county I have dealt with.

All they should be insisting is that you play your qualifiers under the rules and guidance set out by CONGU.

obviously I'm in Scotland so may be different. But none of the clubs up here (North District) run qual comps between Oct and March/April. We have nothing except a few fun things over the Christmas/New Year.

We finish qualifiers last weekend of Oct and start them again the first weekend the following April.
    All comps are then non-qualifiers, mix of single and 4BBB Comps, winners deducted 15% of Handicap, Runners-Up 10%, official handicaps reinstated for first comp in April.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    obviously I'm in Scotland so may be different. But none of the clubs up here (North District) run qual comps between Oct and March/April. We have nothing except a few fun things over the Christmas/New Year.
    The same in sunny Edinburgh

Clubs down the coast may well play qualifiers, but, inland parkland courses will have suffered badly over the past week of freezing temps. Some will be closed this weekend as a result I'm sure.

Tour Winner

Providing the clubs run sufficient qualifiers so that members have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of QualifyingCompetitions in a calendar year there is no specific requirement to run them through the winter.
    Many clubs will have decided that winter weather and course conditions would not allow players to return scores reflecting their ability or cause players not to enter.
    CONGU recognises this by permitting preferred lies and fairway mats. But there is no 'must' do.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    First time I've ever heard that a county have insisted on a medal each month, in fact why do they think that they can dictate what comps a club plays. Not the case with any county I have dealt with.

All they should be insisting is that you play your qualifiers under the rules and guidance set out by CONGU.
    I know sounds odd to me, however I do remember a while ago turning up for a stableford and it had been amended to a medal because the course had been closed when we should've played the medal. When I questioned it I was told there had to be a medal every month, i did not ask who said.

We run qualifiers throughout the year, every fortnight, alternating between Medal and Stableford. The only difference in the winter is the medal comps are replaced with Stableford, so we have two Stableford qualifiers a month. Not sure where the myth that you have to have a Medal qualifier every month comes from.
    2017- 11 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 11.3 > 11.4 > 11.5 > 11.6 > 11.7 > 11.8 > 11.9 (Handicap Review) > 13.4
    2018- 13.4
    In The Bag:

Titleist 915 D2 Driver 9.5*
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 915 H Hybrid 21*
    Mizuno JPX EZ 16 - 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 - 52,56,60
    Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball Putter

Our comps are qualifiers all the while we play on a full course. Once the 9th goes to a temp its non quali as the course becomes too short, the 9th being the wettest part of the course and always the first green to be closed.

Handicap 18. Bag full of Taylor Made with a bit of Dunlop thrown in.
    http://www.newforestgolfclub.co.uk/