Page 3 of 263 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 2622

Thread: World Cup 2018

  1. #21

    Re: World Cup 2018

    World Rankings are artificial and can be manipulated....Poland for example are ranked way above their true level because of the very limited number of friendlies they've played. Friendlies only have a ranking coefficient of 1 in the FIFA system compared with qualifiers which are ranked 2.5. Every friendly played has the effect of potentially dragging down a team's ranking...by no playing any, Poland's ranking is artificially high.

    A similar thing happened to Italy in the last world cup...they played two friendlies that dragged their ranking down allowing Switzerland to be seeded ahead of them in the draw.
    Last edited by nickjdavis; 01-Dec-2017 at 18:02.

  2. #22
    Money List Winner Beezerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    5,057

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    World Rankings are artificial and can be manipulated....Poland for example are ranked way above their true level.
    Yes, they purposely avoided playing friendliest by all accounts which falsely massaged their fifa ranking.

  3. #23
    Money List Winner pauldj42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seaham
    Posts
    6,833

    Re: World Cup 2018

    England v Tunisia - Monday 18th June, KO 7pm

    England v Panama - Sunday 24th June, KO 1pm

    England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June, KO 7pm

    No need to worry about time off work for the 9-5s

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    England v Tunisia - Monday 18th June, KO 7pm

    England v Panama - Sunday 24th June, KO 1pm

    England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June, KO 7pm

    No need to worry about time off work for the 9-5s
    Pretty good draw and no excuses for not qualifying. Of course knowing England they'll need a win against Belgium to go through having slipped up somewhere. Think Southgate must be happy and the timings are great for the viewers

  5. #25

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Did I miss something in the World Cup draw? Where are the other home nations?

  6. #26
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S W Scotland
    Posts
    13,061

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Did I miss something in the World Cup draw? Where are the other home nations?
    Sitting here with a wee smile as the team who only managed to draw with Scotland with an extra time equaliser are being pumped up to win easily against three sides who are above Scotland in the world rankings.

    That said I wish them well, I think they have a very good manager and the makings if a world top 10 team.
    I shall be cheering them on.

  7. #27
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    527

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Sitting here with a wee smile as the team who only managed to draw with Scotland with an extra time equaliser are being pumped up to win easily against three sides who are above Scotland in the world rankings.

    That said I wish them well, I think they have a very good manager and the makings if a world top 10 team.
    I shall be cheering them on.
    Your right there Doon,ridiculous that some have us qualifying already, do they not remember Iceland? and others we should supposedly beat with ease and then struggle.

    But I'm more hopeful this time with a good Squad, but more important a manager that's not from the dark ages

    Doon are you sure your a Scot ? Because I've lived in Scotland for 40 odd years and your the first that's wished England well.

  8. #28
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S W Scotland
    Posts
    13,061

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    Your right there Doon,ridiculous that some have us qualifying already, do they not remember Iceland? and others we should supposedly beat with ease and then struggle.

    But I'm more hopeful this time with a good Squad, but more important a manager that's not from the dark ages

    Doon are you sure your a Scot ? Because I've lived in Scotland for 40 odd years and your the first that's wished England well.
    Nope I generally support English teams with the exception of Rugby, and that is more about their arrogant supporters than the team.

    I did live in England for 30 years and I have an English wife. My daughters moved up after us about 15 years ago and both are now Scotland supporters.

  9. #29
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    527

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Nope I generally support English teams with the exception of Rugby, and that is more about their arrogant supporters than the team.

    I did live in England for 30 years and I have an English wife. My daughters moved up after us about 15 years ago and both are now Scotland supporters.
    Well your the exception

    Sadly my son supports Scotland . Can't get my head around why your English Daughters would support Scotland.

  10. #30
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S W Scotland
    Posts
    13,061

    Re: World Cup 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    Well your the exception

    Sadly my son supports Scotland . Can't get my head around why your English Daughters would support Scotland.
    My youngest always seemed to support England.
    She got caught out when she leapt off the chair and punched the air when Griffiths scored that second free kick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News