Page 233 of 263 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2622

Thread: World Cup 2018

Re: World Cup 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    I read somewhere it was the referees fault?
    Said in jest presumably. Refs have had a wonderfully quiet tournament. They have got on with things, big decisions have been double checked by VAR. I don't know that any team can claim to have been knocked out by a dodgy ref. We certainly were not.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Curse this team and Southgate for making me believe again! I never believed we wouldn't win that last night until we'd gone 2-1 down with about 10 minutes to go, and the lads looked done in. I said before the tournament we would go out to a Stones mistake, and so it proved, but it feels wrong to hammer him now as he's had an excellent tournament before that. Sterling was incredible in the first half, and really showed his worth to the doubters I think. Running the channels tirelessly and winning free kicks all over the place. I can't believe Kane missed that chance (where VAR would have proved him to be onside). So unlike him but what can you say, he is human. Was so chuffed for Trippier scoring though, he deserved a goal for how he played this tournament, just like Maguire got his deserved goal against Sweden.

I don't buy the rubbish about our achievement being worthless because of the easy draw. In Euro 16 we got an easy draw against Iceland - and lost. In World Cup 10 we got the easy group draw - but only scraped 2nd so we had to face Germany instead of Ghana. You can only beat what's in front of you, and England have a history of not doing that, but this time we did it. We restored some national pride that was sorely lacking, and I've now seen my country in a World Cup semi-final - last time that happened I was 3 years old. In fact, the first tournament I ever watched was Euro 96, where we were class, and it's literally all been downhill since then. I've finally seen us perform well in a tournament, and I'm glad.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Disappointed but overall quite happy with how far we got.
    Personally I can’t help feeling we came unstuck by by not taking our chances, and wasting opportunities.
    Sterling for me had a good game, but still has no end product. Kane was going too deep and slow, he’s a striker not midfield player.
    Henderson appeared at times to be the only midfield player, and Ali didn’t seem fully at it.
    However for all that, the squad have done us all proud and given many youngsters the belief that just because youre young, or not at one of the select top clubs, you can make the national team.
    agree with this summary but would ask if we can see it why can’t the coaching staff.

I asked is Kane to big to sub ? As he was poor last night.

When we were 1-0 up and Croatia were pushing forward leaving massive gaps in defence that was the time to bring Vardy on not wait until its 2-1 and they had retreated with no spaces which dosnt suit Vardy

He took Sterling off but it should have been Kane!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Said in jest presumably. Refs have had a wonderfully quiet tournament. They have got on with things, big decisions have been double checked by VAR. I don't know that any team can claim to have been knocked out by a dodgy ref. We certainly were not.
    The ref was poor last night but not in a way that really affected the result.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    agree with this summary but would ask if we can see it why can’t the coaching staff.

I asked is Kane to big to sub ? As he was poor last night.

When we were 1-0 up and Croatia were pushing forward leaving massive gaps in defence that was the time to bring Vardy on not wait until its 2-1 and they had retreated with no spaces which dosnt suit Vardy

He took Sterling off but it should have been Kane!
    Firstly, Kane is the captain, and one of the best strikers in the world. Even on an off day he can get a half chance and score. I don't think you ever take him off if you need a goal, that would be madness.

Secondly, Vardy missed the last game with an injury, so perhaps he wasn't fit enough to do more than 15-20 mins, he was just a last throw of the dice.

Thirdly, I do agree that Sterling shouldn't have come off, he was playing really well. I would have had Lingard off for Rashford as it wasn't his best game.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft

Would love to see Ryan Sessegnon given a go at LWB in place of Ashley Young. Other than that I don't think we need to make many changes to the personnel. Main change needs to be tactical when we get ahead in a game. It happened against Colombia, and it happened against last night. We get ahead, we have a good first half but come out in the 2nd super negative, go away from our natural game and our game that gave us success in the first half and invite pressure. Then, when the opposition ultimately score they have all the momentum and we struggle to get our game back, very frustrating to watch.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 12

Lancaster GC

Kane is allegedly carrying an injury but that's no excuse for Southgate's poor tactics with Kane playing deep and Sterling playing high.

You also can't plan for Walker, Stones and Maguire all having a dodgy game at the back. Some of those back passes to Pickford, and amongst themselves, were asking for trouble. They looked anything but assured in that second half when they were pressed.

I hope Kane wasn't carrying an injury and still playing. Surely we have learnt over the years that players at 85-90% don't work at this level.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Journeyman Pro

Does the 5-3-2 system work? Yes, it got us to a World Cup semi final but we didn't seem to create much from open play. Was that down to the formation or the players we had available. Think Young has probably played his last game for England, due to his age when the next Euros starts rather than his performances, so would bring in Rose for him. Not convinced by Walker at centre back and although he could improve into that role he's not going to get the chance to play there at Man City to get better at it. Which poses another problem as if he doesn't play centre back does he replace Trippier, who has been fantastic, at right back?

Would we be better going to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? Sterling going out wide where he plays best for Man City? Alli playing behind Kane as he does for Spurs? If Llalana is fully fit a playing regularly how do you get him in to the team, if at all?

All of this might seem a bit churlish given how far we got but we need to improve so it's a question of how we get better.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Firstly, Kane is the captain, and one of the best strikers in the world. Even on an off day he can get a half chance and score. I don't think you ever take him off if you need a goal, that would be madness.

Secondly, Vardy missed the last game with an injury, so perhaps he wasn't fit enough to do more than 15-20 mins, he was just a last throw of the dice.

Thirdly, I do agree that Sterling shouldn't have come off, he was playing really well. I would have had Lingard off for Rashford as it wasn't his best game.
    Sorry but it’s nonsense to suggest just because someone is captain and one of the best players in the World you dont take them off ?

Firstly - it’s just an arm band , Kane as captain didn’t really seem to do much on the pitch as a captain , not very vocal - should have been Henderson - there is nothing to stop the arm band going to soneone else - it happens all the time in club football - it’s not permanently sown on

Secondly - he was getting half chances but was missing them and was clearly struggling, he was anonymous for England in the main and should have been replaced with fresh legs

I thought Southgate subs last night weren’t great

Sterling shouldn’t have gone off when he did , same with Henderson

Loftus Cheek should have come on for Lingard and Vardy for Kane for extra time

Then Wellbeck for Alli