Page 203 of 263 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2622

Thread: World Cup 2018

Re: World Cup 2018

The 'footballing' story I am hoping for the most positive outcome, this week end, is currently occurring in Thailand... Hopefully all goes well and we get to see the boys attending the WC final...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    The 'footballing' story I am hoping for the most positive outcome, this week end, is currently occurring in Thailand... Hopefully all goes well and we get to see the boys attending the WC final...
    There would be tears everywhere if that was to happen. So far it seems to be going well.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    Yes letís just hope they see England winning.
    That would be the best possible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Yet on here the same people continue with the same line against him - it happened before he even kicked a ball before the friendlies before the world cup and it hasnt changed , one poster even suggested that the overwhelming thinking was Rashford for Sterling - started a poll and hey presto its not
    Wrong, you're just wrong.
    I genuinely don't believe he should be starting and just asked the question of others.
    I also don't believe that I suggested it was an 'overwhelming' view, merely that several others on here were of the same opinion, ergo I asked the question.
    I also suggested Vardy as an alternative, not just Rashford.
    The poll you referred to suggests that my opinion is the popular one!
    Last edited by Slime; 08-Jul-2018 at 13:42.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

He reminds of bit of what Kuyt was for Liverpool when Torres arrived - did so much hard work for the team for little personal reward
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

He reminds of bit of what Kuyt was for Liverpool when Torres arrived - did so much hard work for the team for little personal reward
    Comparing sterling to Kuyt in no way helps your case.

And that video is hilariously bad. The guy genuinely seems to think he has some keen insight into the game that the rest of us donít.

So Sterling plays in a more central advanced striker role, who is also a deep lying playmaker, and therefore he scores less than he does on the wing. Well thatís brilliant. Well done. Never drop him!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    We are not pre judging, we are basing opinion on his performances in this tournament and recent England games.

Kane and corners, must have been down to the manager and coaching staff. Has there ever been a more bizarre decision? Did the manager see something in training there? Just odd.

I believe the stat for Sterling is something like 2 goals in 42-44. Something like that. It's not new for him in an England shirt. I go back to a previous point, do England need him to score, to set up chances or is his role to pull defenders and create holes? If the latter then all is well. If either of the first two then he is not doing his job.

Last answer, Southgate has a system that he likes, whether down to the players he has or not I don't know but that doesn't matter. The system is effective and Sterling, Lindgard and Alli are important to this. If lallana had been fit then he could have fitted in instead of Sterling as he plays that same type of role. The others in the squad don't quite suit it as well. They bring other attributes, I'm a big fan of RLC for example but he is a different player and now is not the time to experiment. Sterling is fulfilling his role and the excellence of our set pieces mean that his poor finishing and lack of product is something that can be carried so far. I've said it previously, a few pages ago, I would start with Sterling on Wednesday, no way would Southgate change anything now anyway, but if he played as he had done I'd be hooking him early second half either for Rashford or RLC, no question.
    so no pressure, 45 minutes to prove himself

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    so no pressure, 45 minutes to prove himself
    60, I'm generous 😁. He gets the first half plus another 15 after the manager gives it to him straight at the break.