Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now Tv

Re: Now Tv

Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    Does anyone know what the minimum broadband download speed required is for this? On a good day I get 2.8 Mbps which decreases at peak times.
    I think you'll struggle with that speed. I get 9-13 Mbps via standard BT broadband and do buy Now TV sky sports day or week passes sometimes as I can't get sky itself (satellite blocked by hill). Picture looks fine until they start moving the ball quickly and it seems a teeny bit laggy. Sometimes the feed blurs for a few seconds (peak times I guess or too many laptops/ipads/phones on) but usually ok.
    NowTV app is built into my smart tv so no need for a box.

Tour Rookie

When our internet isn't messing around at peak times, we get 5-6mb, like now and it works fine and dandy. During peaks times(evenings or weekend evenings) the internet downloading is a bit more hit here and miss and can freeze or buffer a lot. Normally bbc iplayer is a no goer at peak times here CliveW, seems to be the worst at working/buffering, maybe if you get that working at all times that maybe a good indicator?

Thought I would mention you can have two different accounts for different people, working on one machine, so my wife is now watching the golf for £199 for the next year and I am having to look over her shoulder.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re-posted from elsewhere as Now TV has been suggested as the answer to my question - which is...

I want to get rid of Sky Sports - what's the best option for getting just golf - either on a continuous basis or on an occasional basis. I am currently a Sky Broadband customer but happy to change if a change brings more options into play.

I do seem to have occasional buffering issues when watching progs on Netflix I had buffering issues on NetFlix yesterday evening) or Catchup. Last night I seemed to sort it by shutting my laptop down - but that might only have been coincidental as I don't really get how wireless and broadband speed combine with all devices using the broadband - both wirelessly and cabled.

I have just checked - my current download speed (tested wirelessly on various test sites) is 9-11Mbps - but I could get 80Mbps with BT Unlimited Infinity 2 as that is available to me.

My two main TVs are Sony SMART TVs (I'll go check to see if the Now TV App is built into either).
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 03-Jan-2018 at 14:43.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Swingit - We had a Sky blokey come out to us a few months ago as we had gone to fibre optic and the speed was still poor at around 4-6 mbps, Netflix often wouldn't work for example. A few things came to mind. Everyone being on devices, phones etc slows down the speed. If you are not on your computer, tablet or phone then switch them off, don't just leave them in sleep. That helps increase the speed as the more items online, the slower you are. He checked at one point and we had about 6 devices draining the broadband even though no one was actually active at that precise moment. Eye opener.

Next up, make sure your router is plugged into the main phone plug. We had ours in the living room as we thought that would be better for us using it. However, that was via an extension so it actually cost us speed. Blokey moved it to the correct plug.

Weird one. If you have multiple phones in your house, landlines, take some out and test the speed. Don't know why this worked but when we removed the phone from the socket in the kitchen, router nowhere near it, our speed virtually doubled. We now have the phone in a room we don't go into and it is a bit of a pain but frankly, faster broadband is more important to us than a phone that only rings 3-4 times a week. I'd never heard of that one before but try it, it may work. It's a trial and error job but worth a go.

We now have speeds between 11-14mbps and Netflix works pretty much all the time. Only the odd occasion when everyone is on phones or tablets, at which point grumpy dad suggests people turn them off .

The cynic in me suggests you will not get anywhere near 80mbps unless the cable comes from the main box into your living room but if you are starting at 11mbps then an upgrade should boost you enough so that Netflix etc works fine. I know this does not answer all of your question but it may help. Others have better techie advice but sometimes that can be hard to understand. Hope this helps.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Swingit - We had a Sky blokey come out to us a few months ago as we had gone to fibre optic and the speed was still poor at around 4-6 mbps, Netflix often wouldn't work for example. A few things came to mind. Everyone being on devices, phones etc slows down the speed. If you are not on your computer, tablet or phone then switch them off, don't just leave them in sleep. That helps increase the speed as the more items online, the slower you are. He checked at one point and we had about 6 devices draining the broadband even though no one was actually active at that precise moment. Eye opener.

Next up, make sure your router is plugged into the main phone plug. We had ours in the living room as we thought that would be better for us using it. However, that was via an extension so it actually cost us speed. Blokey moved it to the correct plug.

Weird one. If you have multiple phones in your house, landlines, take some out and test the speed. Don't know why this worked but when we removed the phone from the socket in the kitchen, router nowhere near it, our speed virtually doubled. We now have the phone in a room we don't go into and it is a bit of a pain but frankly, faster broadband is more important to us than a phone that only rings 3-4 times a week. I'd never heard of that one before but try it, it may work. It's a trial and error job but worth a go.

We now have speeds between 11-14mbps and Netflix works pretty much all the time. Only the odd occasion when everyone is on phones or tablets, at which point grumpy dad suggests people turn them off .

The cynic in me suggests you will not get anywhere near 80mbps unless the cable comes from the main box into your living room but if you are starting at 11mbps then an upgrade should boost you enough so that Netflix etc works fine. I know this does not answer all of your question but it may help. Others have better techie advice but sometimes that can be hard to understand. Hope this helps.
    No need to apologise - that's all very useful and right at my level of understanding.

On your landline bizarrity - moons ago when we were dial-up I sometimes couldn't connect at all - the cause (that I stumbled on) was that if I had call back or missed call message left - can't remember which - set on my telephone it was that which was blocking the dial-up router from connecting. When I disabled whatever it was I never had an issue again.

I rather guessed that other devices might be gobbling bandwidth - so will try switching all off it we have buffering issues again.

So that's my bandwidth sorted What about my golf on TV. Looks like Now TV might be the way t go? Will look into Sky Golf Channel and see what that costs. But if I have Now TV that rather suggests I might not need my Sky Box at all...? Or does Now TV come through your Sky Box?
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 03-Jan-2018 at 15:13.

Job done

It is weird the way some things affect the speed. There surely has to be a better way than the current system of getting faster speeds into houses. It's no good transferring so much content online if you can't access it. No issue for city dwellers and those lucky enough to have a cable connection but for so many others it is not fast enough for this modern era.

My wife pushes me constantly to ditch Sky but I do like the sports channels. Please post how you find Now tv if you do go over to it and that may be the way forward for us over time. Always interesting to hear first hand examples, particularly because the visuals of golf are so important and a poor reception would ruin the experience.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Now TV uses its own small box, it does not use your normal Sky box. You cannot record from Now TV though, you can only watch it “live”.

Quote Originally Posted by srixon 1 View Post
    Now TV uses its own small box, it does not use your normal Sky box. You cannot record from Now TV though, you can only watch it “live”.
    Can you do live pause with Now TV? I get that that's actually just recording - but just checking

Job done

Medal Winner

I use NowTV for Sports, Entertainment and Movies and no you cannot pause live tv.

Personally I have no issues at all watching NowTV while my wife watches Netflix and we both use our phones. We're out in the sticks but are lucky enough to get around 35Mbps through fiber to the cabinet.

I use it through a Chromecast and a SmartTv and both work flawlessly.
    Ping G20 Driver - Old Wilson Steel Shafted 3 Wood - Ping Karsten 3 & 4 Hybrids - Taylormade Aeroburner HL Irons 5-SW - Vokey 50° & 60° Wedges - Ping Sigma G Ketsch B Putter