Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Dont quite follow why they have to play all 5 tests in a best of 5 situation. Let the guys come home for Christmas with their families. All about ticket sales and money generation I suppose. However if I was an Ozzie with tickets to the 4th or 5th test I'd be looking to get a refund and do something else with my time. Totally uncompetitive now no matter what anyone trys to sell, all real pressures are off the players now, pressure is what makes great ashes matches. 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, 4-1, 3-2, doesn't matter, Ashes are over.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Dont quite follow why they have to play all 5 tests in a best of 5 situation. Let the guys come home for Christmas with their families. All about ticket sales and money generation I suppose. However if I was an Ozzie with tickets to the 4th or 5th test I'd be looking to get a refund and do something else with my time. Totally uncompetitive now no matter what anyone trys to sell, all real pressures are off the players now, pressure is what makes great ashes matches. 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, 4-1, 3-2, doesn't matter, Ashes are over.
    I went in 2006, got on the plane knowing it was already over - I'm still glad there was cricket, and we had a cracking time.

Root says, "I am proud of the way we battled, but we were outskilled. We have been in every game but not managed to drive it forwards. We haven't been completely outplayed we just haven't performed at that level for long periods of time."

Results say...

1st Test - lost by 10 wickets
    2nd Test - lost by 120 runs
    3rd Test - lost by an innings and 41 runs.

In my book that is completely outplayed.
    Titleist 910 D3 RIP x-stiff
    Titleist 915F 3W Rogue x-stiff

Mizuno H4 2i DG X100
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW DG X100

Cleveland CG15 DSG 52°, 58°
    Odyssey Sabretooth 33" with VIBE

Callaway Chrome Soft X Truvis Yellow/Black Footballs
    Titleist RC Cart Bag
    Under Armour Golf Shoes
    Garmin S3
    No official h/c
    PW Swing. 6i Swing. 3i Swing.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Piece View Post
    Root says, "I am proud of the way we battled, but we were outskilled. We have been in every game but not managed to drive it forwards. We haven't been completely outplayed we just haven't performed at that level for long periods of time."

Results say...

Usual banal media guff from the England camp. One partnership saved England from complete annihilation in that match.

Quote Originally Posted by Piece View Post

Results say...

Wrap it up anyway like Joe, but your boys have taken a right good pasting and simply haven't been good enough and outplayed in all areas. Can't see beyond 5-0 now

So should Cook jack it all in? Should Broad be dropped? Should Moeen be left out and given time to heal his finger so he can actually turn a ball?

Yes to all 3 for me

Jennings for Cook
    Garton for Broad
    Crane for Ali

Could even look to play Bairstow as an opening batsman and give Foakes a go behind the sticks and bat 6? Might be radical but something needs to change?
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Tour Rookie

Re: The Ashes 2<script src=

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    So should Cook jack it all in? Should Broad be dropped? Should Moeen be left out and given time to heal his finger so he can actually turn a ball?

Yes to all 3 for me

Jennings for Cook
    Garton for Broad
    Crane for Ali

Could even look to play Bairstow as an opening batsman and give Foakes a go behind the sticks and bat 6? Might be radical but something needs to change?
    Who's Garton?
    2017,18 year of the nomad.
    2012 - 16 Handicap 16.7, 15.0, 12.7, 12.6, 12.7
    Mizuno Woods, Hybrid & Irons
    Cleveland 588 RTX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 5 Putter
    http://www.royalwinchestergolfclub.com

Tour Winner

Yes to all 3 for me

Jennings for Cook
    Garton for Broad
    Crane for Ali

Would very much like to see Foakes given a go in the last two tests. Very good keeper by all accounts with a not too shabby batting average either.

So should Cook jack it all in? Should Broad be dropped? Should Moeen be left out?
    Cook, not sure, really poor form saved by that big 200 against an awful Windies team.
    Maybe he’ll retire after the ashes anyway.

Broad, definitely, worst of all the bowlers.

Moeen, another definitely, 2nd worse of all the bowlers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42401032

Pretty good summary

Lot of focus on Cook having a poor tour but Ali , Root and Broad are equally culpable but I don’t see them going yet - don’t see too many knocking on the door. Should have taken a better spin option than Crane - England aren’t blessed with bowlers that are going to sling it down at over 88mph and from a height so not sure what other bowler should have gone.

Root has also been poor as a skipper - but the worst thing is they have had chances to stay in the Ashes in all the tests - they just haven’t taken them