Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Malan and Bairstow were superb - played some superb crisp shots and also defended well - they were peppered with short balls all day long and attacked them - sometimes it was the wrong choice but they got away with some loose shots.

The dismissal of Stoneman was poor though - nothing on hotspot , snicko has a slight noise , the replays the umpire saw show no conclusive evidence that it was the top hand glove that it touched yet he gave it out - nothing but a guess from him . The host broadcaster found other replays that suggest it might have touched the top glove but that it also might have flicked the grill - Root says it was the grill . It was a very poor advert for telly reviews

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Malan and Bairstow were superb - played some superb crisp shots and also defended well - they were peppered with short balls all day long and attacked them - sometimes it was the wrong choice but they got away with some loose shots.

The dismissal of Stoneman was poor though - nothing on hotspot , snicko has a slight noise , the replays the umpire saw show no conclusive evidence that it was the top hand glove that it touched yet he gave it out - nothing but a guess from him . The host broadcaster found other replays that suggest it might have touched the top glove but that it also might have flicked the grill - Root says it was the grill . It was a very poor advert for telly reviews
    It also raises questions when there are stories in the press around corruption of the Test match, it was a very poor decision, and I don't know how Dar made the decision he did.

Great batting from Malan and Bairstow, looked comfortable, and generally left the ball really well - let's hope they can re-start tomorrow, bat most of the day, and then stick the Aussies in towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    It also raises questions when there are stories in the press around corruption of the Test match, it was a very poor decision, and I don't know how Dar made the decision he did.

The guys on TMS said they'd seen a camera angle which suggested the ball hit his glove (hand holding the bat) so the decision was correct, however this view wasn't available until 4 minutes after Dar had made the decision, up until then it was impossible to know for sure so essentially Dar made a wild guess and got lucky.
    2016 handicap 15-13 2017 handicap 13-12 2018 handicap 12...

Tour Winner

Well i wasnt expecting that when i heard on the radio into work that England were 4 down. Fair play to Malan and Bairstow. Still need to get beyond 450 though. If they do it'll be interesting to see how the Aussies' fragile batting fares under some scoreboard pressure.

Another poor innings from Cook. Has his time run out? Doesn't seem to give us a stable platform so far

Money List Winner

After Malan & Bairstow's heroics the subsequent collapse was disappointing. Can't see us getting much joy out of this one looking at the way the Aussies are motoring on.
    Cuddington GC Annual Singles winner 2017

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    After Malan & Bairstow's heroics the subsequent collapse was disappointing. Can't see us getting much joy out of this one looking at the way the Aussies are motoring on.
    One partnership has helped England avoid another skittling. However, the bowling has been poor. England's bowlers cant seem to stick the ball in the right spot for 6 deliveries. At their pace that is a cardinal sin. And Moeen looks cannon fodder, as he so often does away from England.

Back to hiding behind the cushion 😟. The tail that is usually so good is letting us down now.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Back to hiding behind the cushion 😟. The tail that is usually so good is letting us down now.
    I don't think the tail is the problem, the job No's 1-4 in the batting order are getting paid for is to score big runs and set the innings up.

Too many batsmen are getting a start and then getting out which is not good enough at that level.

Cook appears shot, Stoneman is working hard for runs and could have a future, Vince is way too loose outside off stump especially if he has been tied down and Root keeps finding new ways to give it away.

Smith is a great example, keeps churning out big runs despite looking awful, he just finds a way.

Frustrating since this isn't a great Aussie team. If we were able to keep them in the field longer at least one of their quicks would have broken down by now and most of their reserves are crocked.

I fear a decent Aussie lead and England 2nd innings collapse as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by saving_par View Post

I fear a decent Aussie lead and England 2nd innings collapse as per usual.
    I think you could be right. I can see a lead of 100 or so and us being at least 4 down before we get ahead and make them bat again and will set them a paltry 100 or so to win the series. Hope the bowlers can get their act together tomorrow but I fear not