Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Juniors in Menís comps

When I was a junior the rules were:
    For the midweek medal they had to be 19 handicap & below, for the weekend comp's they had to be 10 and below. These were to stop rapidly improving juniors taking all the wins.

Our club championship was once won by a 12 year old, he shot sub-par for 2 rounds, on the same day, (18 GIR for the 2nd round), so I reckon he deserved the win as he played the best golf.

Seniors' comps are for the old gits, and are age bracketed to stop younger better players winning! (I am 54 on Monday!) So, that's why the Section Exists... those Seniors are not excluded from the other mens' comps.

Hence the earlier "argument" about Juniors having their own section doesn't work in my view.

We had Jordon Smith at Bowood when I was there- he played me and a mate in the final of the summer scratch foursomes... he was about 11 or 12 at the time!! ... we won on the 17th. (his partner of similar age had a meltdown!)

Why would you stop young talent playing? Cos their victory speech might not be delivered with sufficient "gravitas?" Heck, folk will be in the bar without a cravat at this rate!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    . Juniors do not pay the same subs as full members and (usually) play considerably more golf than full members as they have much more disposable time.
    Does that mean I am not allowed to win comps because im 25 and pay an intermediate rate? ridiculous argument.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5į - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5į Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19į - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1į Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50į, 54į & 58į all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

If your Club Championship is named exactly that, then juniors can enter and potentially win. If you have a "Mens Championship" then no they can't. As Al Murray would say, "the clue is in the title".

Unless you're a member of my old club when the former captain's son got down to a low handicap and overnight the championship rules were changed by the captain and a couple of his cronies.

Our juniors can play in any Comp unless itís ďno juniorsĒ in the rules of that Comp.

They have to have a HC of 28 and only one junior per three ball

We have found over the last 3 years that juniors playing alongside ďadultsĒ has not only improved their golf but also the way they act around a golf course - three juniors have gone from playing off 18-20 to now two cat 1 and one of 6 - all down to playing with adults in comps and indeed swindles

Th ladies however were not happy that their scratch champs was won by a 14 year old off 3 - so have brought restrictions in that means she wonít be able to play in it next year

I do not want to say that juniors cant play in mens comps but there should be some restrictions such as handicap limit.
    At my old club they have a charity day every year with lots of donated prizes with a lot of money raised and all men, women and juniors were entered together. This was generally held at the beginning of September after all the juniors had been playing nearly every day for the school holidays and because they were a bit slack on juniors at that time there were not many comps for them to be cut.
    I remember one year that the top 10 places went to juniors with handicaps ranging from 36 to 54 and playing off red tees. If I can remember correctly 10th place scored something like 44 points!
    So I would like to see juniors in mens comps but i think they need to have a maximum handicap of 28 and adhere to the same regulations as the men in that they need to have played so many medals before eligible for the board comps

I'm pleased to say any junior with a handicap, max 28, can play and win a comp at our club. They are treated as equals.

My son and I left a previous club when my son was 14 as he had a h/c of 18, mine was 23 at the time, and they would not allow him to play comps. He and I, plus a number of other juniors just reaching that same ceiling left for another club which welcomed them with open arms and gave them equal standing with adults.

If they have an adult h/c then they should be able to play in adult comps. I'm staggered by the dated attitude of so many people and clubs still.

We allow them in with a handicap of 18 and have to play with adults. We only have one that plays regularly and is turning into a decent little golfer at the age of 13. He'll has the makings of a very competent single figure player

Quote Originally Posted by tincup View Post
    I do not want to say that juniors cant play in mens comps but there should be some restrictions such as handicap limit.
    At my old club they have a charity day every year with lots of donated prizes with a lot of money raised and all men, women and juniors were entered together. This was generally held at the beginning of September after all the juniors had been playing nearly every day for the school holidays and because they were a bit slack on juniors at that time there were not many comps for them to be cut.
    I remember one year that the top 10 places went to juniors with handicaps ranging from 36 to 54 and playing off red tees. If I can remember correctly 10th place scored something like 44 points!
    So I would like to see juniors in mens comps but i think they need to have a maximum handicap of 28 and adhere to the same regulations as the men in that they need to have played so many medals before eligible for the board comps
    The fault there is allowing them to play off junior tees and junior h/c. If they play in an adult comp then they should play off the whites and have an adult h/c.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Th ladies however were not happy that their scratch champs was won by a 14 year old off 3 - so have brought restrictions in that means she wonít be able to play in it next year
    Blimely that a forward looking golf club. How did the poor lass feel ?

Why were they not happy, especially as it was a scratch event ?