Tour Winner

Re: First handicap and supplementary scores

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Your maths is correct - but your typing isn't

I make it 34.0 - 3.6 = 31.4 Playing handicap 31

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    First, for any hole where you recorded more than a net double bogey, you must reduce that score to net double bogey. If that is the case it will reduce your 100 to something lower.
    eg. you score 10 on a par 4, Stroke index 2. You will get two strokes there, so your net score is 8. But net double bogey is 6, so your effective score is 6.
    Your 100 is now 96.
    So 96- 34 = 62. SSS = 69. Net differential = - 7.

So from the figures in my post above: 6 x 0.5 and 1 x 0.6 = 3.6
    Your new exact handicap is 34.0 - 3.5 = 31.5. Playing handicap 32

I hope my math is correct
    Thanks this is very helpful!

So just to put this into practice, I have set out below a fictitious round to try and get my head around this:

*Yellow Tees - PAR 70 /SSS 69* *HANDICAP - 34*
    HOLE PAR STROKE INDEX GROSS SCORE
    1 4 3 6
    2 4 9 5
    3 3 15 5
    4 4 13 4
    5 3 5 4
    6 4 1 6
    7 5 11 9
    8 5 7 5
    9 3 17 4
    10 4 14 4
    11 4 16 6
    12 5 8 8
    13 4 2 5
    14 3 6 4
    15 4 12 5
    16 4 4 6
    17 4 10 5
    18 3 18 3

GROSS TOTAL 94
    (MINUS HANDICAP) 34

NET SCORE 60

(9 STROKES UNDER SSS OF 69)

Questions:

1. Is this worked out correctly?

2. Based on this round, what could I expect my handicap to change to from 34 and could this be done from just one card on this round or require further cards to be submitted?

3. How does the 'Clause 19' - Net Double Bogey Adjustment affect this (if at all)?

4. I have not factored in the stroke index into this calculation. This is because I am not sure if this would be used for handicap purposes or just for when playing with others to level the playing abilities out?

5. Would the CSS be used or am I correct to use the SSS if it is just for the purposes of a supplementary card outside any competitors with the intention of trying to get my handicap down (although I recognise it could also increase)?

I apologise for the basic way this is set out. It just helps me properly understand how this works in practice and what kind of game I need to work towards to get my handicap down to 28 or better!
    Last edited by lawler; 14-Nov-2017 at 21:12.

Tour Winner

The Nett Double Bogey adjustment does affect the calculation of a handicap adjustment. If your nett score at a hole is too high, it is reduced to a nett double bogey e.g. a nett 8 at a par 4 is reduced to 6. Or to put it another way, it is reduced to the lowest score at which you do not gain a stableford point. To work that out, you do need the stroke index. There are, however, no adjustments to be made to this score.

You are receiving 34 strokes which means 2 strokes a hole except for SI 17 and 18. For example, your gross 9 at the 7th may seem high, but with 2 strokes off it's a nett 7, which is a nett double bogey. Any gross score above that 9 would be reduced to 7.

If you are completing a card for handicap within a competition, your score is not counted towards the CSS and the SSS is used for your calculation.

That card would reduce your handicap to 28.
    First 6 strokes at 0.5 reduction per stroke = -3 which takes you to 31
    Next 3 strokes at 1.0 reduction per stroke = -3 which takes you to 28 and competition status.
    Last edited by Colin L; 14-Nov-2017 at 22:14.

Tour Winner

first, for any hole where you recorded more than a net double bogey, you must reduce that score to net double bogey. If that is the case it will reduce your 100 to something lower.
    Eg. You score 10 on a par 4, stroke index 2. You will get two strokes there, so your net score is 8. But net double bogey is 6, so your effective score is 6.
    Your 100 is now 96.
    So 96- 34 = 62. Sss = 69. Net differential = - 7.

So from the figures in my post above: 6 x 0.5 and 1 x 1.0 = 4.0
    your new exact handicap is 34.0 - 4.0 = 30.0 playing handicap30
    correction in red
    Last edited by rulefan; 14-Nov-2017 at 22:35.

Tour Winner

correction in red
    So ....
    Turns out your typing and your maths was wrong?

And l can't read ...
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    The Nett Double Bogey adjustment does affect the calculation of a handicap adjustment. If your nett score at a hole is too high, it is reduced to a nett double bogey e.g. a nett 8 at a par 4 is reduced to 6. Or to put it another way, it is reduced to the lowest score at which you do not gain a stableford point. To work that out, you do need the stroke index. There are, however, no adjustments to be made to this score.

You are receiving 34 strokes which means 2 strokes a hole except for SI 17 and 18. For example, your gross 9 at the 7th may seem high, but with 2 strokes off it's a nett 7, which is a nett double bogey. Any gross score above that 9 would be reduced to 7.

If you are completing a card for handicap within a competition, your score is not counted towards the CSS and the SSS is used for your calculation.

That card would reduce your handicap to 28.
    First 6 strokes at 0.5 reduction per stroke = -3 which takes you to 31
    Next 3 strokes at 1.0 reduction per stroke = -3 which takes you to 28 and competition status.
    Really helpful thankyou.

I now think I am beginning to understand the use of nett double bogey and how this applies. So based on this, my understanding is that you add the stroke (or strokes) on to your gross score before calculating what the nett double bogey is?

I. E.

The first hole above is a par 4 with a stroke index 3. On my current handicap (34) I get 2 strokes towards this hole. If my gross score on this hole was 10, I would first take off the two strokes I am entitled to which brings the nett score down to 8 but as the nett double bogey (2 above 4) is 6 I would be awarded a score of 6?

The confusion I have is based on this example from the CONGU website, which effectively adds another stroke on:

"A competitor playing from a handicap of 15 returned a nett score of 70 in a Stroke Play QualifyingCompetition.

This equalled the CSS of the day. The scorecard, however, contained an 8 at the par 4,5th hole which was Stroke Index 6.

In this instance, therefore, the nett double bogey score was 7(4+2+1) resulting in the 8 being reduced to 7 (for handicap purposes) with consequent reduction innett score to 69 and a handicap reduction of 0.3.

Had the competitor made a ‘no score’ at the 5th hole rather than an 8 e.g. he lost a ball and did notput another into play, the effect, for handicap purposes would have been exactly the same i.e. a nettdouble bogey score of 7.By taking advantage of this clause and completing subsequent holes, competitors have theopportunity to return scores below their handicap or within their Buffer Zone even though they do nothave a competition score."

I understand now that I would get 2 strokes for each hole above (apart from 17 and 18 which would be one) but I just do not understand how this applies to the following example as it adds a stroke on.

Also are the reductions in the calculation given to the first 6 strokes (0.5) and latter 3 strokes (1.0) linked to the buffer zone I am currently in?

Apologies for dumbing this down so much...
    Last edited by lawler; 15-Nov-2017 at 08:29.

Tour Winner

It's to me an odd way of expressing nett double bogey but it makes sense. The 3 numbers are the compoment parts of the nett double bogey:

4 = par for the hole
    2 = a gross double bogey
    1= your handicap stroke added on to make your nett double bogey - your "allowance" for that hole - a stroke more than the gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    It's to me an odd way of expressing nett double bogey but it makes sense. The 3 numbers are the compoment parts of the nett double bogey:

4 = par for the hole
    2 = a gross double bogey
    1= your handicap stroke added on to make your nett double bogey - your "allowance" for that hole - a stroke more than the gross.
    Thankyou this now makes sense. I suppose it is just a case of going down each individual shot after a game and looking at if any individual hole is more than a gross double bogey, whether you can recalculate this with any further relief based on your handicap that may increase the score to give a nett double bogey.

The best case scenario therefore is that the highest score you can get for a hole is a gross double bogey and then including any handicap relief which may increase it for a nett double bogey - although the nett double bogey may be the same as gross (as in my score card above that does not have any examples of an increase above gross double bogey).

Is the calculation on the 9 shots (6x0.5) + (3x1) therefore based on the buffer zone for the category I am currently in for handicap purposes?