Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Sad State Of Football

With the recent good results at junior level isn't the future looking brighter?
    For England at least...

Believe the upturn in fortunes is down to better [more organised] coaching being available at junior level...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    For England at least...

Believe the upturn in fortunes is down to better [more organised] coaching being available at junior level...
    I believe England has always had a pretty decent junior level, the problem lies when the young lads hit 17,18 and there are no top clubs for them, so they end up in the championship at best, only the odd one gets a break at a chelsea, city, liverpool etc. Bring in a homegrown player rule, where 75% of your squad must be from the home nation, it would shake up world football and probably never happen, but it would be great for the game. Too much money involved for it to happen now though.
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    For England at least...

Over the years Scotland has done well at fitba and golf at junior level so I would not bank on it.

Weren't the Italians complaining of a worse problem just before they won their last World Cup??
    No on has a devine right to play anywhere, but the youngsters too often take the money to sit on a bench over playing for a slightly"lesser" team and play regularly.
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Weren't the Italians complaining of a worse problem just before they won their last World Cup??
    No on has a devine right to play anywhere, but the youngsters too often take the money to sit on a bench over playing for a slightly"lesser" team and play regularly.
    This is true, every one of the England team plays (or sits on bench) in the EPL.

In fact who was the last England player to be playing for a foreign club when playing for England? Hart at Torino I guess? Outfield players though - Hargreaves for Bayern maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    This is true, every one of the England team plays (or sits on bench) in the EPL.

In fact who was the last England player to be playing for a foreign club when playing for England? Hart at Torino I guess? Outfield players though - Hargreaves for Bayern maybe?
    I thought maybe Eric Dier but a quick google confirms he only played for the junior teams while based abroad.

Beckham or Hargreaves would be a guess, beyond Hart.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    I thought maybe Eric Dier but a quick google confirms he only played for the junior teams while based abroad.

Beckham or Hargreaves would be a guess, beyond Hart.
    McManaman when playing for Real Madrid?
    Forever trying.

As usual I've explained myself poorly ...

Kids of a much younger age now how more access to 'proper' coaching... As young as five!
    Someone who's got a coaching badge not just a well intentioned Dad doing his best...

For older kids there are now sports academies with professional coaching...
    Not just a 'regular' teacher who might do geography one day PE the next..

It's about building a decent platform and I believe the FA finally have got the message...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    McManaman when playing for Real Madrid?
    That'd be earlier than Beckham and Hargreaves' last appearances I'd guess.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rooter View Post
    I believe England has always had a pretty decent junior level, the problem lies when the young lads hit 17,18 and there are no top clubs for them, so they end up in the championship at best, only the odd one gets a break at a chelsea, city, liverpool etc. Bring in a homegrown player rule, where 75% of your squad must be from the home nation, it would shake up world football and probably never happen, but it would be great for the game. Too much money involved for it to happen now though.
    There are very few 17-18 year olds playing in the championship. At that age, unless they are exceptional they are just not good enough. Look at Harry Kane. Went out on loan in his late teens, and hardly pulled up trees. Gylfi Sigurdsson came through our academy and got in our championship team when he was 20.

There have been a lot of promising 17 year olds that never make it. Think I saw that when England won the U17 World Cup six years ago, three of the players were playing in the Premiership, which is ok, but the majority were not playing in the championship but non league. seems like you really need to judge players when they are 20-21, and playing against seasoned pros.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.