Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: PXG or P790

  1. #1
    Club Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    65

    PXG or P790

    Heading for club fitting in 2 days.

    Has anyone tried PXG 0311?

    Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

    If the $$ don’t matter, are they really better irons?

  2. #2
    Ryder Cup Winner Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Gallardos
    Posts
    11,858

    Re: PXG or P790

    Not sure about the PXG but do like the look of the P790's. But if you're thinking those sorts of numbers, why not add the Titliest 716 T-MB to the equation? I've got the 3 iron, which is easy to hit, and have tried the 7 iron.
    Give it big humpties

  3. #3
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcester Park
    Posts
    5,853

    Re: PXG or P790

    According to Bob Parsons they are extremely similar; too similar for his liking.

    http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/0...nd-pxg-lawsuit
    Cuddington GC Annual Singles winner 2017

  4. #4
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,513

    Re: PXG or P790

    from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.

  5. #5
    Ryder Cup Winner drive4show's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    10,799

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by sandylc524 View Post

    If the $$ don’t matter, are they really better irons?
    The ones that give you the combination of feel and performance you are after are the 'best' irons.

  6. #6
    Club Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    65

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.
    If the 7 was too much distance, can’t you use 8?

    yes, price is high. 😂 on the broken bottle.....

  7. #7
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    5,573

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.
    I'm surprised by this. I've just got a set of P790's and spin was fine, c. 6,800 on average for 7 iron although I do have the lofts a little weak (if that changes anything?)

    Had them out a couple of times this weekend and love them, the feel is unbelievable.

    PXGs are nice and if you've got the cash then go for it, I couldn't justify that sort of money on clubs (although the P790's aren't exactly cheap!!)
    H'cap = 4.5

  8. #8
    Major Champion Foxholer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wasting away again in Margaritaville
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by sandylc524 View Post
    Heading for club fitting in 2 days.

    Has anyone tried PXG 0311?

    Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

    If the $$ don’t matter, are they really better irons?
    That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

    May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

    I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

    Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 12-Nov-2017 at 22:18.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

    Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

  9. #9
    Club Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    65

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

    May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

    I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

    Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!
    I tried a few shots using a 7 in the range and they felt great! I was set on getting them but when i watched the reviews, a lot of opinions were of the “they are overpriced” kind.

    hence the need to seek opinions of those who actually used them in comparison to the p790.

    Havent changed clubs in 15y, so overpriced or not, i feel justified in getting them 😂

  10. #10
    Journeyman Pro dufferman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Woking, Surrey
    Posts
    2,430

    Re: PXG or P790

    Quote Originally Posted by sandylc524 View Post
    Heading for club fitting in 2 days.

    Has anyone tried PXG 0311?

    Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

    If the $$ don’t matter, are they really better irons?
    I don't know if you know of Rick Shiel on YourTube, but:

    https://youtu.be/qWmQKwLnc1Y

    He is a pro in Manchester. Last year he took the PXG irons and put them against the Mizuno MP-5 and Titleist AP2 to see what came out on top.

    Spoiler alert, the PXG's did. But marginally.
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Sergio Garcia Swing Analysis

Here we take an in-depth look at the swing of 2017 Masters Champion Sergio Garcia

February 23, 2018

Tiger Woods To Hit “Four Or Five” Drivers A Day At Honda Classic

The 14-time major winner will surely hit more fairways this week at PGA National, revealing he's only going to hit "four or five" drivers per round

February 22, 2018

Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018 powered by Cobra Puma Golf

2 golfers will get the chance to lower their scores the ‘smarter way’ this year via our bigger and better 'Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018' project powered by Cobra Puma Golf

February 21, 2018

4 Ways to Improve Your Short Game Strikes

In this video, GM Top 25 coach John Jacobs shows 4 fail-safe chipping methods to help you stop wasting shots around the greens

February 21, 2018

Jim Furyk Names Woods And Stricker As Ryder Cup Vice Captains

Woods and Stricker will join Davis Love III as Jim Furyk's vice captains at Le Golf National

February 21, 2018