Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PXG or P790

Medal Winner

PXG or P790

Heading for club fitting in 2 days.

Has anyone tried PXG 0311?

Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

If the $$ donít matter, are they really better irons?

Re: PXG or P790

Not sure about the PXG but do like the look of the P790's. But if you're thinking those sorts of numbers, why not add the Titliest 716 T-MB to the equation? I've got the 3 iron, which is easy to hit, and have tried the 7 iron.
    Give it big humpties

Money List Winner

According to Bob Parsons they are extremely similar; too similar for his liking.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/0...nd-pxg-lawsuit
    Cuddington GC Annual Singles winner 2017

Tour Winner

from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.

Quote Originally Posted by sandylc524 View Post

The ones that give you the combination of feel and performance you are after are the 'best' irons.

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    from the numbers I've seen the p790 are lower spin. much lower. i couldn't get the 7 iron above 5000. this was giving me distance i didn't want and no stopping power on greens. the pxg was alot better for me but I'd rather shave my backside with a broken bottle than spend £2.5k on a set of irons.
    If the 7 was too much distance, canít you use 8?

yes, price is high. 😂 on the broken bottle.....

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    I'm surprised by this. I've just got a set of P790's and spin was fine, c. 6,800 on average for 7 iron although I do have the lofts a little weak (if that changes anything?)

Had them out a couple of times this weekend and love them, the feel is unbelievable.

PXGs are nice and if you've got the cash then go for it, I couldn't justify that sort of money on clubs (although the P790's aren't exactly cheap!!)
    H'cap = 4.5

Really really want to get these clubs, and the reviews are all good. They are just saying its not worth the $$.

That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 12-Nov-2017 at 22:18.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    That's what (proper) fittings are for! It's how they work for you, not others, that matters!

May be marginally better than 'standard', but way overpriced imo.

I'd have to ask WHY you want to get those clubs. Be totally honest with yourself answering that question and you'll have your answer!

Btw. I've had a couple of sets of Miuras that were considered expensive at the time, though I never paid full 'off the shelf' price! These days I settle for 'classics' particularly Miura forged McGregors that I got 1 set for £50 and the ofher for about £60!
    I tried a few shots using a 7 in the range and they felt great! I was set on getting them but when i watched the reviews, a lot of opinions were of the ďthey are overpricedĒ kind.

hence the need to seek opinions of those who actually used them in comparison to the p790.

Havent changed clubs in 15y, so overpriced or not, i feel justified in getting them 😂

I don't know if you know of Rick Shiel on YourTube, but:

https://youtu.be/qWmQKwLnc1Y

He is a pro in Manchester. Last year he took the PXG irons and put them against the Mizuno MP-5 and Titleist AP2 to see what came out on top.

Spoiler alert, the PXG's did. But marginally.
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman