Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Graphics card upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Lazkir View Post
    Have to disagree with the bib. The PC platform is still the platform of choice for serious gaming..
    Wouldn’t call myself a serious gamer but I can’t imagine playing Civ 5 on a console.

Its the modding side which sells PC games to me.

I doubt I could go to TV refresh rates and input lag after all this time PC gaming.

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazkir View Post
    Have to disagree with the bib. The PC platform is still the platform of choice for serious gaming, you don't see many Egame championships using consoles.

The serious COD games prefer PC's because you can run the games at refresh rates of 144Mhz with the FPS to match, it makes a massive difference to the players. You need a beefy PC to run it though.
    I built my son's gaming rig a few years back and he's just had to upgrade his Gcard to keep up with the games he's playing.

Admittedly the amount of games released on the PC has diminished in recent years, but there's still plenty about.
    The point I was rather clumsily trying to make is gone are the days when you can play a high end game on a normal domestic pc. You need special kit these days

Just looked at the Doom Specs, it’s a 46Gb download on recommended settings
    Might blow a bit of a hole in your “unlimited” broadband allowance.

Still hanker back to the days of Quake and Half Life 👍
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Guess I'd be looking upwards on 500 sheets if I wanted to buy one ?

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

I’d say more, you are looking at £200 plus just for a high end graphics card.
    Add in power supply, I7 cpu, 16Gb Ram and a 500Gb SSD Hard drive you’ll have a stonking system, but pointless if you are watching it on a 17 inch screen .
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob59 View Post
    Guess I'd be looking upwards on 500 sheets if I wanted to buy one ?

Could build a 'half decent' gaming PC for about £600, not counting the monitor.
    A decent one is closer to a grand, but a really good one would be double that.

Top end graphic cards start at about £400 nowadays, blame the crypto mining scene for that.. But yes there are plenty of decent cards around the £200 mark.

Doom, Quake, Unreal tournament in that order, mainly Wow, and a bit of Eve online for me nowadays with the odd throwback to Homeworld. and C.o.H.

Over the years I think I've spent more on PC equipment than I ever have on golf.. :/
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

In 2009 I got a mid top end gaming PC. £1500 inc monitor and keyboard etc.

Since then spend abou £1000 on it, inc a new monitor just to keep it mid top range. I do need to spend £1000 this time round due to recent advancements though... need a new monitor and graphics card to power it.

How much would new consoles cost over the same period? I would have been able to run them on higher settings and had a PC to work on and play a range of non console style games. Plus modding and superior multiplayer all that time.

Consoles have a market yes but it’s not me. I wouldn’t have had half as much fun with a console.