Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Head Pro

Re: Why can't I hit Driver? - Aagghh

Quote Originally Posted by ademac View Post
    Looks like you can hit a driver then.
    Get down to the practice green sharpish! 
    Have a lovely indoor putting mat that I have been practicing on for 2 hours as its so bloody cold!!
    Driver Ping G LS Tec 9 Degree 65g S Shaft3 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S Shaft5 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S ShaftHybrid Callaway 4H 22 Degree XR Project X 5.5 R ShaftIrons 4-PW Callaway Steelhead Pro KBS C Taper Lite S ShaftWedges Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58 Deg KBS Tour V S ShaftPutter Tad Moore Handmade TMS Tour 34" Blade

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Nope - 3 wood is straight and true - had a session on GCQuad this morning

3 wood dispersion +- 7 avg with avg carry 241

driver dispersion +- 25 with avg carry 270

That was using the 3 wood swing - am gonna leave the Driver out for the winter and put it back in the bag March

Some great advice from you guys and much appreciated
    I'd suggest you keep the Driver in the bag! At least for casual/bounce games'! If it's a serious comp/match, then removing temptation might be worth consideration though. Winter seems a great time to sort issues out while having fun being on the course!

While the 3-Wood is seriously straighter, the Driver dispersion is not too serious, given that you say 'straight or slight fade'! So rather than aiming down the middle, aim at the left side - evem the semi on that side! If it goes straight, you'll be fine and 25 yards of fade will still very likely be playable too!It's the '2-way miss' that's the real killer!

I'd concur with the suggestion of shortening the shaft! At 45.75" it's way too long imo! It's only that length to compete in the Iron Byron statistics - with othor 'too long' Drivers!! At least an inch - and possibly more - would almost certainly straighten drives with very little loss of distance! In fact, if you have a friendly Pro with a Ping fitting setup, you might be able to try either a shorter Driver shaft or simply a 3-wood one - as that driver allows shafts to be swapped very simply!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Ryder Cup Winner

That driver seems to be the problem, far too long IMO.
    I played at my best with a MacGregor driver of 41" [I'm 5'10"]. hitting a slight fade.
    Hit it as far as my peers and did not miss many fairways.
    A fair while ago mind.

Club Champion

When I played off 24 I was happy to get on the green in 3 and 2 putt for my 5.

Head Pro

Interesting .... played a Par 70 5780yds course .. left the driver at home .. went round in 88 gross .. didnt miss the driver once
    Driver Ping G LS Tec 9 Degree 65g S Shaft3 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S Shaft5 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S ShaftHybrid Callaway 4H 22 Degree XR Project X 5.5 R ShaftIrons 4-PW Callaway Steelhead Pro KBS C Taper Lite S ShaftWedges Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58 Deg KBS Tour V S ShaftPutter Tad Moore Handmade TMS Tour 34" Blade

Tour Rookie

I think you should do the opposite. Reverse logic, force yourself to get over the issue.

Take the 3 wood out of your bag and only allow yourself to hit driver off the tee.

Don't allow it to become a mental issue, believe in yourself.

As your driver has an adjustable loft I would suggest increasing it from your current 9 Deg to something like 12 deg and then see if that improves things. When you have more loft it decreases the amount of side curvature on the ball, that's one of the reasons you are better with your 3 wood. If that works you can reduce it gradually until you find your optimum setting. Only after that would I suggest you look at shortening the shaft as once shortened you cannot put it back without a new shaft.
    Play it cool Trigger!