Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assistant Pro

Re: Lost ball in GUR....possibly.

Haha...i wish, the lost ball on 16 was then spotted on the 17th fairway, 30 yards further on from the GUR.

Challenge Tour Pro

I have always liked the "could it be elsewhere" rule of thumb, but would like to point out that is not a metaphysical question, but an evidence question. Something not found "could be" in a Schrödinger's cat box....we don't know all the forces in the universe.

But if we rephrase the question its objective becomes clear:"based on all the evidence and reasonable inferences and probabilities that can be drawn, could the ball be anywhere other than the GUR?" If we ask it like that in good faith, the "wishful thinking" gnome will not emerge and a result pleasing to the god of golf will result.
    Last edited by atticusfinch; 09-Nov-2017 at 13:42.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    I have always liked the "could it be elsewhere" rule of thumb, but would like to point out that is not a metaphysical question, but an evidence question. Something not found "could be" in a Schrödinger's cat box....we don't know all the forces in the universe.

But if we rephrase the question its objective becomes clear:"based on all the evidence and reasonable inferences and probabilities that can be drawn, could the ball be anywhere other than the GUR?" If we ask it like that in good faith, the "wishful thinking" gnome will not emerge and a result pleasing to the god of golf will result.
    Not sure I'd bring Schrodinger's cat into this one. 'Cos that would mean the ball is both lost, and not lost at the same time. And then the devil alone would know which one you had to play
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

What is Schrodinger's cat's handicap?

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    What is Schrodinger's cat's handicap?
    The dead cat is 6, the live cat is -9....but you can't be sure because simply asking alters the number. And then there's all that business with strings....very messy. Then, of course, the eternal question "Was Schrodinger Austrian or German?"