Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Lost ball in GUR....possibly.

Situation that cropped up Saturday past. Driving off in to a low sun I didn't see my drive at all but one of my playing partners did (down the middle with a slight draw he says) The hole is a downhill dogleg, upon arrival, ball no place to be seen but at the bottom of the hill there are numerous very soft patches of GUR marked out, but not all GUR.

How should we have proceeded ??

1. Lost ball, tough luck.
    2. Lost ball in GUR ?

Interested in how we correctly should've played on ?

I should add, from the teeing ground, it is not possible to see your ball finish.

Ryder Cup Winner

Re: Lost ball in GUR....possibly.

You canít lose a ball in GUR, you take relief with a replacement ball IF it is virtually certain thatís where it finished.

The long walk back and 3 off the tee I'd say
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Tour Winner

Just ask yourself if your ball could have been anywhere other than in the GUR. If the answer is yes ( and from what you say, that looks like the only possible answer), your ball is lost if not found after 5 minutes and you must proceed under stroke and distance. [Rule 27-1c]

Tour Winner

You need to 'know or be virtually certain' (KVC) the the ball is in GUR to be able to claim free relief.
    See 25-1c
    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...#!rule-25,25-1

Otherwise you must play again from the tee with a 1 stroke penalty.

For an explanation of KVC see Decision 26-1/1
    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...ion-26,d26-1-1

Ryder Cup Winner

Glad I added the virtually certain part in, Iím getting better with these rule questions 😂

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Just ask yourself if your ball could have been anywhere other than in the GUR. If the answer is yes ( and from what you say, that looks like the only possible answer), your ball is lost if not found after 5 minutes and you must proceed under stroke and distance. [Rule 27-1c]
    Yes if "could've" been somewhere else other than GUR indeed. What I'm trying to say though is, in all likelyhood, it "could've" been lost in the frighteningly soft GUR, but due to no one being able to see the ball land (due to lie of land, not low sun) there is no way one could confirm it landed for sure in GUR, to which we would assume, lost ball, stroke and distance.....correct ?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Yes if "could've" been somewhere else other than GUR indeed. What I'm trying to say though is, in all likelyhood, it "could've" been lost in the frighteningly soft GUR, but due to no one being able to see the ball land (due to lie of land, not low sun) there is no way one could confirm it landed for sure in GUR, to which we would assume, lost ball, stroke and distance.....correct ?
    Yes - lost ball, and play stroke & distance.

The question as regards "could be" is of the type where you say "is it in the GUR or could it be somewhere else". If you say yes, it could possibly be somewhere else then yes, it could be in the GUR but you don't have the virtual certainty you need - and have to treat it as a lost ball. Virtual certainty is of a nature where you know it can't be anywhere else than in the GUR but you just canít find it.
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Assistant Pro

So any guesses as to what happened on the next tee ??

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    So any guesses as to what happened on the next tee ??
    Hole in one?