Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How Efficient/Effective is the Commitee at your club?

The phrase that always makes me smile is when the loudmouths are asked why don't they go on the committee. They proudly exclaim "they wouldn't have me, I'd cause too much trouble". Try it go on. They are afraid as they are all hot air.

Reason I never looked at a comittee at my old club is that they wanted to move the meetings to 3.00 so as the great and the good of the club could go straight after their invitation only roll up on a Wednesday afternoon.

Our committee is always very positive and open to suggestions and change. Mind you, I would say that, I'm the Treasurer!
    • Welton Manor Golf Club
    • 2017: 20.1 ---> 21.0 ---> 20.6
    • 2016: 21.5 ---> 22.0 ---> 19.5 ---> 20.1
    • 2015: 21.0 ---> 21.5

I've never agreed with the comment, "if you want to whinge about it, get yourself on committee." Every member is allowed to raise their concerns, loudly too, if they feel the need. And its a committee man's duty to listen to those concerns, no matter how unpalatable or ignorant the delivery is. Everyone wants the same thing, i.e. a well run, viable and efficient club.

The only time I refused to listen to member's concerns or complaints was when someone walked across two fairways for a 'chat,' just after I teed off at the start of the round. I must admit to biting a little bit on that one.

And my stock answer for the majority of the concerns/complaints, "put it in writing. I'm not giving you an off the cuff, knee jerk response now. Put it in writing, and we'll discuss it properly and you'll get a formal response. I'll then talk it through with you if you want."
    Give it big humpties

Last year I wrote to the competition committee members and asked for more competitions from the blue tournament tees.
    This year we had one a month (for those that want to play off them, others can play off the normal white or yellow comp' tees)

So that was positive, whereas some things don't change when you'd want them too. Like most clubs I'd imagine.

Lets be honest, being on a committee is a thankless task and you cannot please everyone. It's usually the same voices with the same gripes but ask them for help and you don't see them for dust. All of the committees at my club do a reasonable job. There are things I don't agree with but ultimately they are driving the club forward and I'm happy with my lot there

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I've never agreed with the comment, "if you want to whinge about it, get yourself on committee." Every member is allowed to raise their concerns, loudly too, if they feel the need. And its a committee man's duty to listen to those concerns, no matter how unpalatable or ignorant the delivery is. Everyone wants the same thing, i.e. a well run, viable and efficient club.

The only time I refused to listen to member's concerns or complaints was when someone walked across two fairways for a 'chat,' just after I teed off at the start of the round. I must admit to biting a little bit on that one.

And my stock answer for the majority of the concerns/complaints, "put it in writing. I'm not giving you an off the cuff, knee jerk response now. Put it in writing, and we'll discuss it properly and you'll get a formal response. I'll then talk it through with you if you want."

This ^^^^^^^^ all day long, and was pretty much my take on the position when I served for 5 years
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Our main committee only met once this year, so it's like swimming in treacle trying to get things passed by it. I got an e mail yesterday from the Seniors committe and it was discussed about the proposed changes to our third (The Alps - says it all actually) and about how they would like to offer their help and raise funds to get this project moving and completed over this winter. Oh how I laughed and laughed.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season