Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tour Winner

How Efficient/Effective is the Commitee at your club?

random post, but i've always been really impressed with my club and their forward thinking approach towards things and wondered how your club works - does the committee inhibit change?

heres an example -

On Saturday i played with the head green keeper (Scratch Handicapper), and we got talking about the fact more should be available to the low handicappers in way of competitions and incentives.

Sunday evening i posted on his Facebook wall that we could consider a Gross Order of Merit to run alongside our Nett one that is a popular event within the club. It gained a lot of interest from those that saw it with everyone thinking it was a good idea

Monday - there was a committee meeting, it was discussed, and approved.

Tuesday - we get contacted and informed that the club had retrospectively gone back and looked at results for 2017 to give an idea of who would have won etc.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: How Efficient/Effective is the Commitee at your club?

Is that at Burnham mate?

Tour Rookie

Both clubs I'm a member of don't have committee's and I personally find that it works far better, there is no internal politics and no backside kissing.

Both clubs run extremely well and there is shed loads of work, investment at both plus numerous members competitions that are run and managed well.

It is good to hear that your club is forward thinking and open enough to embrace a good idea and introduce it straight away, golf clubs need to be more open and susceptible to good ideas and change.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

there is a very popular phrase used in the media a lot relating to court cases, i'm going to use it here in relation to ours.

No comment!
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

My current club - very good, work with management company well - always keep everyone updated.

Old club - utter joke. Think they run the club (it's Crown Golf so they don't). Website is a joke, minutes rarely published, competitions run badly, results take ages to appear. Tons of toadying and sorting their mates out - the hell with everyone else. Can't work out why I left.

Q-School Graduate

We have a suggestion book and members are also free to send in letters.

We have 5 committees

Directors who are responsible for everything financial, legal and setting membership options.

Captains Committee responsible for all matters related to the course.

Handicap, Competitions and Golf Rules Sub committee reporting to the Captains Committee.

Ladies Committee

Seniors Committee

Both of the latter are responsible for arranging their own comps and matches and finances from and for those.

It all works very well but obviously with 800+ members you are not going to please everybody.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Is that at Burnham mate?
    No this is at the Players, but Burnham is incredible at getting stuff done too
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

Challenge Tour Pro

Our course is proprietary meaning the committee is completely handicapped in what it can do, especially when you have the management we do, i did a couple of years on the committee but continually felt like i was bashing my head against a brick wall, someone elses headache these days
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

As with most members clubs our committee will never please everyone. I have been on ours for 4 years now and can see first hand that any decision is made with the best intentions and for the good of the course and members. There have been some that I don’t agree with ( like closing the course for a weekend to host county champs ) but generally from my point of view we do a decent job for a bunch of unpaid volunteers.

On the Comp side overall the stuff I have changed or introduced seems to have gone down well from bringing in IG , changing all monthly medals and Stablefords to open to all , removing restrictions on juniors etc and reducing the amount of tee closures to let more social golf happen - would love to do more but it’s always hard.

I guess every club has the same sort of people - the people who always kick up a fuss and make the loudest noise are the ones who won’t stand for Committee and always people who forget that people kick up the own time to do it. I have certainly had flak for stuff - calls at stupid o clock at night or the morning , people who think they can approach you whilst playing etc