Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Northern Ireland gamble

Proper golf courses.

Loved Portrush when I played it, never played RCD.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Lads thought son North West GC is it worth a trip we're over next september and looking at a few places to play
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by stevek1969 View Post
    Lads thought son North West GC is it worth a trip we're over next september and looking at a few places to play
    If you are in the area playing Ballyliffin and want a 3rd course without traveling far.

If RCD, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Ballyliffin are headlines then Northwest is fluff piece to fill some column inches.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek1969 View Post
    Played it once after very heavy rain and during high winds, most of it was ok but one stupid par 3 along the road and awful catering put me off. No hate for the place but would certainly take a hell of a competition to entice me back over other localish courses.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by palindromicbob View Post
    If you are in the area playing Ballyliffin and want a 3rd course without traveling far.

If RCD, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Ballyliffin are headlines then Northwest is fluff piece to fill some column inches.

You get what you pay for with those courses. North west is a very old traditional little links which condition wise matches up to the big boys. Obviously cannot compete with them as it doesn't have a dune taller than my head.

Its fairways are like carpets and greens faultless. Have been for quite some time now. It can be played for 19euro on golf now. We were getting it as low as 12 euro last winter.

Other notable courses are portsallon and my personal favourite rossapenna.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Great photos
    Appetite well and truly whetted

Amazing. I don't think it can get any better than that can it... can it?
    Don't think it can get any better than that.
    10 hcp and rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Quaker View Post
    Don't think it can get any better than that.
    It can.......try the links around Dublin.

Wow, what an amazing few days. It was always going to be a gamble going in November but then again it was a gamble going to Sunningdale in July

Well to say we got lucky was an understatement.

Captainron and myself went by ferry to Belfast and the journey to Portstewart was interesting, the roads were icy and the ground was white over, good job we had a 11.40 tee time.

Got to Portstewart and we had a treat, the front 9 is incredible, comparable to Hillsides back 9 for me, course was in really good condition, the greens were superb for the time of year and I did take a lot of putts on them we did have some small amount of rain for 9/10 holes but it didn't take any enjoyment from the round at all.

Next day was Royal County Down and boy we had it all that day, wall to wall blue skies and hardly any wind, I think Liverbirdies luck well and truly worked for us that day, its the best course I have ever played and plenty of wow holes, the setting is stunning, we did play from the normal yellow tees and I thought it was difficult enough from them, if we was playing from the white tees then I would really have struggled.

Course again for the time of year was excellent, I could happily play it again and again.

Then onto Royal Portrush for day 3, now we are talking proper links weather, 30-40 mph winds , wow this course is a brute without the wind, played quite nicely but still it was really a challenge, the 2 new holes looks like they have been there for years, 550 yard par 5 into the wind reminded me of a mini 14th from Trump Aberdeen, it must have played 950 yards that day we played it as I had to hit 4 good shots to get close.
    Got rained on the 18th so we did quite well, we did miss one small shower by sheltering in the little shelters built into the dunes, what a great idea they are, the par 3 16th is the hardest par 3 I have ever played I think.

Cant wait to see the Open there in 2019 as I am hoping the wind is up just to make me feel better

Day 4 was a 36 hole marathon at Ballyliffen, well I didn't know what to expect from Ballyliffen and I went with an open mind as the two previous courses had surpassed my expectations and RCD had blown my mind away.

Glashedy course to start, now if this course is better in Summer that what is was that day then I will be shocked, the fairways were in good order but the greens were perfect, true fast and looked so good to putt on, the best greens on the trip, loved the course and thought the par 3's were stunning, could happily play that course again and again, myself and Cam got round in 2hr 55 after been held up by a 4ball for 4 holes so we had time for lunch before the PM round.

Played the Old course in the afternoon and it was totally different to the Glashedy course, less dunes but tighter fairways and very undulating fairways and greens, very impressed the condition of both courses, we got ion with 25 mins light to spare as well so that was a real bonus as I did think we would struggle.

Final day was played at Scrabo on the other side of Belfast, after what we had played it was never going to be as good but a thoroughly enjoyable course, would like another crack at it in summer as winter had set in as its a parkland course on top of a massive hill, the views are something else.

On reflection we played the best courses and I don't know how we could better it, if Turnberry is better than RCD then we are in for a real treat.

The friendliness of the people we met at each course is something I haven't experienced before in such a big way, the amount of members that went out of the way to talk and ask about your round and if you enjoyed the course is top notch.

Thanks Northern Ireland, I will be back

Oh and did I mention the fact I won the 7 way comp £50 and the 4 way forum comp £40 as well Oh and £30 from Odvan as well
    10 hcp and rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Quaker View Post
    Day 4 was a 36 hole marathon at Ballyliffen, well I didn't know what to expect from Ballyliffen and I went with an open mind as the two previous courses had surpassed my expectations and RCD had blown my mind away.

Glashedy course to start, now if this course is better in Summer that what is was that day then I will be shocked, the fairways were in good order but the greens were perfect, true fast and looked so good to putt on, the best greens on the trip, loved the course and thought the par 3's were stunning, could happily play that course again and again, myself and Cam got round in 2hr 55 after been held up by a 4ball for 4 holes so we had time for lunch before the PM round.

Played the Old course in the afternoon and it was totally different to the Glashedy course, less dunes but tighter fairways and very undulating fairways and greens, very impressed the condition of both courses, we got ion with 25 mins light to spare as well so that was a real bonus as I did think we would struggle.

Thanks Northern Ireland, I will be back :
    Good to hear you enjoyed the whole trip and in particular my home club (Ballyliffin)

Glashedy is a stunning golf course and greens are always in top condition and I'm looking forward to seeing the pros play it next year in the Irish Open. The Old Course greens have came on fantastic this year and a lot of credit goes to the head greenkeeper and his team as they have done a lot of work on them in the last couple of years and are finally seeing the fruits of their labours.

Shame I'm out with a dodgy back as would have loved to have joined up with you guys for a game but maybe next time.

On the other courses I can't argue with anything you have said about RCD or Portrush, both being the real cream of the crop when it comes to links courses and deserving of every plaudit they receive.

Quote Originally Posted by smange View Post
    Good to hear you enjoyed the whole trip and in particular my home club (Ballyliffin)

Glashedy is a stunning golf course and greens are always in top condition and I'm looking forward to seeing the pros play it next year in the Irish Open. The Old Course greens have came on fantastic this year and a lot of credit goes to the head greenkeeper and his team as they have done a lot of work on them in the last couple of years and are finally seeing the fruits of their labours.

Shame I'm out with a dodgy back as would have loved to have joined up with you guys for a game but maybe next time.

On the other courses I can't argue with anything you have said about RCD or Portrush, both being the real cream of the crop when it comes to links courses and deserving of every plaudit they receive.
    Apologies, I keep calling it Ballyliffen when its Ballyliffin

The courses were way above what I was expecting, The Glashedy was immaculate as I said but the Old was a thoroughly enjoyable course and also in fantastic condition, the wind got up at the end of the day and the last few by the sea were tough going, Didn't lose a ball on Portstewart, Portrush or RCD or the Glashedy but the Old course I lost 2!! Who do I complain to
    10 hcp and rising.