Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Money List Winner

Re: On and Around the Green - Who plays first?

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    To cover Bobmac's rather pertinent point, would suggest you refer your mate to both to the R&A and the USGA websites to show him they are the same...
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    I'm not sure linking to the American rules site would be the best idea in this scenario
    Show him this then

https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/...-Order-of-Play

Or even better, the first page of the book that I'm sure that GaryK normally carries with him.
    Last edited by rulefan; 08-Nov-2017 at 07:57.

Club Champion

Thanks all for confirming my understanding and pointing me to the rule.
    I have sent the R&A link to my mate and also managed to dig out my rules books which is now in the bag.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    I have ..... also managed to dig out my rules books which is now in the bag.
    Don't forget to change it over in a year's time.

My PP reckons that it should be player A as he is not on the green (despite being nearer the hole).
    Your PP is not alone, it's a common misconception. It's often quicker for the player off the green to play first as it saves having to take the flag out and the put it back in again. If it's me, I always ask "shall I come on?" rather than assume my PP is OK with me playing out of turn. I think one of the changes for 2018 is being allowed to putt with the flag in - so it'll cease to be a timesaver in many circumstances.
    • Welton Manor Golf Club
    • 2017: 20.1 ---> 21.0 ---> 20.6
    • 2016: 21.5 ---> 22.0 ---> 19.5 ---> 20.1
    • 2015: 21.0 ---> 21.5

Tour Winner

Let's say that the pin is near the front of the green and player A is 5 yards away from the hole, but not actually on the green. Player B is on the green, but at the back, say 10 yards from the hole. Who should play first?

My PP reckons that it should be player A as he is not on the green (despite being nearer the hole).
    When I said that I thought otherwise as I had seen the exact opposite to what he was saying on the USPGA tour, he said that the yanks do it differently.

Please could someone confirm and point me to the respective rule number.
    Re the post above and your reference to PP (Playing Partner).
    a) Note that there is no such animal in the Rules. The guy you are playing with in the same group in a strokeplay comp is a Fellow Competitor and Rule 10-2 applies.

b) But more importantly, the person you are playing with as a team is a Partner. In which case, you as a pair have the choice of who plays first. Rule 31-4 applies

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    I'm not sure linking to the American rules site would be the best idea in this scenario
    Whaaa? The ROG are the same all round the world...farthest from hole plays. (I'll overlook your chauvinist tone this time. )

The pro tours would frequently play with the exception to R22-2 in mind, perhaps exaggerating the meaning of "interference." (This is sometimes cited as evidence of a continuous putting rule.) Because most casual players have some kind of "ready golf" custom, the actual rule is not commonly used.

R. 22-2: Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).

In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    Whaaa? The ROG are the same all round the world...farthest from hole plays. (I'll overlook your chauvinist tone this time. )
    Please read all of post no.8
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Challenge Tour Pro

Where are posts numbered? All I see is #1. Why don't you just copy the post instead of making a game out if it?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    Where are posts numbered? All I see is #1. Why don't you just copy the post instead of making a game out if it?
    The number is on the black bar above each post. Day and time to the left; number of post on the right.