Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Club Champion

On and Around the Green - Who plays first?

Let's say that the pin is near the front of the green and player A is 5 yards away from the hole, but not actually on the green. Player B is on the green, but at the back, say 10 yards from the hole. Who should play first?

My PP reckons that it should be player A as he is not on the green (despite being nearer the hole).
    When I said that I thought otherwise as I had seen the exact opposite to what he was saying on the USPGA tour, he said that the yanks do it differently.

Please could someone confirm and point me to the respective rule number.

Re: On and Around the Green - Who plays first?

Always furtherst away to play. No. Plenty in stroke play. I can ask you to replay in matchplay.

Penalty..

Whoever is ready first - ready golf is going to be the recommended method that the R&A would like players to use

If in a matchplay then itís the furthest to the pin unless you decide between you that one of the green can come on first

But overall itís common sense between grown adults

It's furthest from the flag plays first but there is no penalty for playing out of turn. Although in matchplay I can ask you to replay the shot.

Tour Winner

The essence is in the posts above but if you want to prove anything to your pal you should refer him to this.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-....html#!rule-10

Furthest from the pin However we would normally play so if the player off the actual green wants the pin left in they would go first just to save time. If all players are happy with the pin out, then it would be in distance order, "ready golf" still being considered
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    When I said that I thought otherwise as I had seen the exact opposite to what he was saying on the USPGA tour, he said that the yanks do it differently.

Please could someone confirm and point me to the respective rule number.
    The essence is in the posts above but if you want to prove anything to your pal you should refer him to this.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-....html#!rule-10
    I'm not sure linking to the American rules site would be the best idea in this scenario
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

To answer the OP's question, it's rule 10.

To cover Bobmac's rather pertinent point, would suggest you refer your mate to both to the R&A and the USGA websites to show him they are the same. And also point out that rule 10 doesn't mention anything about greens - because whether or not a ball is on a green is irrelevant
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Give your friend a rules book and ask him to read it!
    But...ready golf is the way forward, especially in bounce games.