Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Par 3 Openers

Q-School Graduate

Re: Par 3 Openers

It is also a drivable par 4 so it does set the pace of play.

In always remember every time I played there (back in the days of wooden headed drivers) I would try to drive the hole. The one and only time I actually managed to finish on the green I 3 putted.

If you are playing a course that has a tough par-3 to start, why would you be worried about making "a par"? Your aim is to play the hole in the least number of shots - so if you are facing a 220-yard shot to a guarded green, why not play short? Pitch on - if you make a 3 - great. If you make 4, you're not exactly going to lose shots on many of the field. Never understood the mentality of playing a hole just because of the par.

But to echo some of the comments here, Wimbledon Common, Walton Heath and North Hants are three of the toughest I can think of. I'm excluding "Royal Horton Park" in Epsom which has a 140-yard hole to a tiny green on one nine with that utterly stupid other par 3 on the back nine.

Hacker

Yes! Then you can go to Alnmouth Village, the oldest nine hole links course in England. The first hole is a testing opener, a 199 yard Par 3 played to an unusual green which has a raised plateau with deep doo-doo left and right. Great sea views though.

Then nip down to Warkworth for a gentle 217 yard, slightly downhill opener. Cracking hole!

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hip View Post
    Yes! Then you can go to Alnmouth Village, the oldest nine hole links course in England. The first hole is a testing opener, a 199 yard Par 3 played to an unusual green which has a raised plateau with deep doo-doo left and right. Great sea views though.
    That looks nice 👍👍

Northants opens with a par 3 of around 190 yards. Not too bad a way to open a round and certainly doesn't seem to have done Justin Rose too much harm when he was honing his skills there

Quote Originally Posted by hines57 View Post
    Northants opens with a par 3 of around 190 yards. Not too bad a way to open a round and certainly doesn't seem to have done Justin Rose too much harm when he was honing his skills there
    I suspect when Rose was there is was still a Par 4 - they reduced it when they did the clubhouse up. For me its a pretty poor start tbh - its just a long nothing hole

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaJR View Post

Thetford is a nice Par 3 which is a reasonable challenge as the green is well protected and tricky. Plus club selection adds doubt as it's an elevated tee which is tree protected so hard to assess wind etc.
    Sums it up. Tough opening hole. And to have 2 par 3s in the first 3 holes means if you get off to a slow start, you can up against it for the rest of the round!

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post
    Sums it up. Tough opening hole. And to have 2 par 3s in the first 3 holes means if you get off to a slow start, you can up against it for the rest of the round!
    Yep that 2nd Par 3 is even trickier. Neither are long but tough greens to hit!

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    The other thread (how to warm up) got me thinking about opening holes, particularly par 3's which seem to be fairly uncommon

Orikuru's place, Haste Hill, at 150 ish doesn't sound too bad

However, Homer's place, Royal Ascot, sounds tough at 230 odd and might break you rather than breaking you into the round gently!

What other par 3 openers are out there and what are you opinions on them?

The only ones I can remember playing are:

- Enville (lodge) 170ish I think, nice hole on a nice course and not too bad a start (although I think the Highgate's par 5 opener is better starting hole)

- Chesterton - 160-170ish over a valley, quite enjoy this opener (probably because I've always played it well)

- Church Stretton - brute uphill at about 180 and almost a dogleg. Would only play here for fun as it's a crazy (part golf, part mountaineering) but spectacular and quite special. Wouldn't fancy it in a medal every week though

Overall I prefer par 4 or 5 openers but I guess one advantage to having a par 3 opener is it spreads the field out, useful if there's no starter

Thoughts...
    Enville Lodge starts with 178 yard par 3 and it is always a tough proposition first up but the tougher one is at Church Stretton. It is tough because it is uphill and a smallish green with steep drop offs on either side.

I would play Church Stretton all the time. A wonderful course. Superb views and good exercise! Give it a try sometime.

Tour Rookie

Isn't the first at Bamburgh Castle a par 3. It is on the cliff edge too. 180 yards.