Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Par 3 Openers

Challenge Tour Pro

Par 3 Openers

The other thread (how to warm up) got me thinking about opening holes, particularly par 3's which seem to be fairly uncommon

Orikuru's place, Haste Hill, at 150 ish doesn't sound too bad

However, Homer's place, Royal Ascot, sounds tough at 230 odd and might break you rather than breaking you into the round gently!

What other par 3 openers are out there and what are you opinions on them?

The only ones I can remember playing are:

- Enville (lodge) 170ish I think, nice hole on a nice course and not too bad a start (although I think the Highgate's par 5 opener is better starting hole)

- Chesterton - 160-170ish over a valley, quite enjoy this opener (probably because I've always played it well)

- Church Stretton - brute uphill at about 180 and almost a dogleg. Would only play here for fun as it's a crazy (part golf, part mountaineering) but spectacular and quite special. Wouldn't fancy it in a medal every week though

Overall I prefer par 4 or 5 openers but I guess one advantage to having a par 3 opener is it spreads the field out, useful if there's no starter

Thoughts...

Re: Par 3 Openers

City of Derry has a pretty long opening par 3. Just over 200. Don't short side yourself on the right and you should be ok.

Preston has a simple enough opening par 3. Breaks you in nicely. Mid to short iron and away you go.

Wouldn't be in my plans if I was designing a course. Wide open or short par 4 would be ideal.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Challenge Tour Pro

Played Falkirk Tryste a few times and they have a shortish par 3 with a lot of bunkers around the green found that a tough opening hole, and giving it more thought a par 3 start might be as hard as any.

Challenge Tour Pro

Huntercombe is the only one I can think of that I have played.

North Hants opens with long par 3s on both front and back 9

Liphook has a tough par 3 to start with

Blue Course at The Berkshire is prob the toughest I have played - about 200 yards with a good 150/160 carry other thick heather - brute of a hole
    Last edited by Liverpoolphil; 07-Nov-2017 at 20:43.

Cochrane Castle springs to mind. Plays about 175 uphill to a plateau green. As long as you keep it straight, a short/long miss still secures a pretty straightforward bogey. Gets groups moving quickly but I prefer to have a driver in my hand off the first.

I'd argue that the first at Wimbledon Common is the hardest par three opening hole I've ever played anywhere

http://www.wcgc.co.uk/course/

The road on the left pinches in towards the green and is about 15 yards left at the start of the putting surface (and OOB). The right has a large gully (about where the 67 yard marker on the diagram is). There is a carry of about 100 yards to find the fairway (can you have one on a par 3?) and if you top it there is lots of grassy knolls and typical common scrub to make it hard to hit a decent second. SI7 and a four here really is a good score

Challenge Tour Pro

Remembered one more:

West Cornwall, used to be intimidating at over 200 yards I think with OB (and expensive homes) tight down the right. I think they were forced to move to a new tee box meaning a shorter hole and a less intimidating angle... a nicer start in my view

Cleveland Golf Club, Redcar, 168yds from a raised tee to raised green, good start to a good course.

Royal lytham starts with a 3 also at between 169 and 199 depending on the tees, also if I remember correctly the Nicholas course at Carden Park has a par 3 opener at around 160.
    www.loweryourhandicap.org Current H' Cap 1.7