Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: It's a very small world

To flip it slightly have you ever been accosted by someone who swears they know you i.e they have mistaken you for someone else so badly they dont believe you're not them? I have, slightly disconcerting at the time but I must have a doppleganger somewhere.

Ryder Cup Winner

First time ever in London and walking in Picadilly I got a tap on the shoulder.
    Turned round to see one of my old school friends, both of us from a small Lothians village.

A few years later sitting on the tube I was aware of the guy opposite staring at me.
    Turned out to be another old school friend from the same village [who had grown a beard.]

A few years ago on holiday in Majorca we got chatting to a American airman and his German wife. When I said we came from Bellshill his eyes lit up, said he knew two guys from there.
    A drummer called wee Jimmy and a guitarist called Wullie Mac, who'd played regularly at his American air base near Hamburg .
    Turned out they were my old drummer and lead guitarist, who'd left to play in Germany in 1968, I didn't go but because I had a decent job, and the wife wouldn't let me
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Challenge Tour Pro

Bumped into sone friends whilst away in Madrid. Really threw me. Really odd seeing people outside of normal context

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdouble View Post
    There I am hand in hand witth my wife walking through a Disney park in Florida and there right in front of me is a work mate. We both know each other is away but neither of us knew where the other was going. A couple of seconds either way and we would have not seen each other. Utterly bizarre. Anybody else with any strange meeting coincidences
    Did you know they even have a ride at one of the theme parks that features a small small world ......

I was walking with my wife down a country lane near Hexham & I said to her "your osteopath lives around here" And who was the next person we passed?
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Not quite the same coincidence, but I lived in Ashford and worked in Folkestone (about 15 miles apart) I worked in plant and tool hire. I took a call from someone I'd never heard of who asked to hire a concrete mixer, I did the biz with him and asked the delivery address and he gave my own home address, it turned out that my neighbour was having a bungalow built between his, and my house and the builder couldnt get one locally and just happened on my business.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Not quite the same coincidence, but I lived in Ashford and worked in Folkestone (about 15 miles apart) I worked in plant and tool hire. I took a call from someone I'd never heard of who asked to hire a concrete mixer, I did the biz with him and asked the delivery address and he gave my own home address, it turned out that my neighbour was having a bungalow built between his, and my house and the builder couldnt get one locally and just happened on my business.
    Staff discount ? .
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Was at a school leaver's disco back in '78 in Kildare, Ireland. Spied a lovely looking lass across the dance floor. Our eyes met, we danced, found a table and sat down for a chat... honest. We'd only sat next to each other in class for a term back in 1963, as 5 year olds.

Bumped into friends in London a few years back, we were living in the sub-tropical paradise of Middlesbrough at the time. And bumped into work colleagues in Cambridge who were away for the weekend - their respective husband and wife didn't know...oops.
    what school mate ?
    Golf... A simple game played by complicated people ...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Got a couple we are very close to from our days in Bristol - and another couple in our road we are close to from moving 100miles from there.

We had a party some years ago and we invited both couples. Was standing at our front door with Andy (neighbour) when Ian and Mo arrived. Andy looked at Ian and Ian looked at Andy - and both said 'what are you doing here?'

They were at Uni at the same time; the same Uni; and they lived in the same house whilst they were there.

Unfortunately they didn't get on. Ian was dead serious and studious; Andy was a Bowie freak and party animal. Andy had to go through Ian's room to get to his, and as Andy was regularly wrecked he'd be falling all over the place as he passed through Ian's room - whilst Ian was asleep or trying to sleep. I don't think they swapped phone numbers at our party. They haven't been in touch since.

Mighty big coincidence though.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done