Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: What's the best made-up rule you have come across?

From the posts here the theme on booking system seems to be, if you want a busy course have a booking system, if you'd rather it was quite just rock up and play with no booking

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    you can repair a pitch mark if it was made after your ball came to rest
    I thought you could repair a pitch mark at any time. Isn't it other damage (spike marks, foot prints etc) that can only be repaired if it occurs after the ball came to rest?

Or are you referring to pitch marks not on the green?
    Handicap: 12

Q-School Graduate

Re Booking

When we introduced one the majority of players in swindle were all strongly in favour as it meant we get a guaranteed tee time.

Prior to us having one we would all the leave the club Monday afternoon agreeing to meet Thursday morning only to find that on Tuesday or Wednesday a society had been booked for the time we agreed to meet. Too late for us to go out earlier.

We have a compromise situation on our 18 hole course no booking and no visitors before 9.30 and after 4.30 and Booking on Saturdays is only for competition days only and visitors are only allowed as members guests.

The 9 hole course has booking all the time this is mainly because we get a lot of visitors on this course and it is felt we would get less without a booking system.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    From the posts here the theme on booking system seems to be, if you want a busy course have a booking system, if you'd rather it was quite just rock up and play with no booking
    That was the view of my place. We welcome visitors of course we do - but it is at it's core a members club. we pay a lot of money for our membership. The view (rightly or wrongly) was that a tee booking system for casual play and visitors was too much down the road towards a pay-and-play course/club. Many members just weren't up for our club heading down the P-a-P route when members are shelling out £1560 subs this year to March 2018.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    That was the view of my place. We welcome visitors of course we do - but it is at it's core a members club. we pay a lot of money for our membership. The view (rightly or wrongly) was that a tee booking system for casual play and visitors was too much down the road towards a pay-and-play course/club. Many members just weren't up for our club heading down the P-a-P route when members are shelling out £1560 subs this year to March 2018.
    Exactly as it is at our Club.

We, the members, accept that our subs have to be at a certain level to continue to provide a course and facilities to meet our demands and access to those facilities.

As a Member's Club that is our prerogative but I accept that others may find a different model more to their liking.

When we were offered the choice the members ' decision was as at Hogie's club.

I can see both sides of the booking argument. At my old club there was no booking system and that was great. As we had 3 start points meant you could pretty much always walk onto a tee and play as long as you were not fussed about the loops of 9 that you played. That suited me perfectly. I wanted to play early on a Saturday morning. With a booking system that was not guaranteed as tee times could easily get booked up when released (as happened when they introduced tee for competitions) but if I turned up about 8.30 on a Saturday morning I would be teeing off by 9 at the latest. This worked well as it was a members club with no pay and play at weekends.

At my current club, as it is part of a hotel chain, it would simply not work to have that sort of system as there is need to take into account pay and play golfers. That said, it still works for me as the Saturday Roll up is given a number of slots in the morning to use and we have the morning block booked for one of the courses for the Sunday competition. Without that, I am not sure that I would have joined.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I thought you could repair a pitch mark at any time. Isn't it other damage (spike marks, foot prints etc) that can only be repaired if it occurs after the ball came to rest?

Or are you referring to pitch marks not on the green?
    Yea it was referring to on the fringe , not on green
    Golf... A simple game played by complicated people ...

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Only in the same circumstance as a pitch mark that has been made after your ball came to rest. In other words, if the sand was their first, you can't touch it, as Rory found out to his detriment!
    Ah I understand now thanks.