Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: What's the best made-up rule you have come across?

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Cheers, so you donít have a booking system but publish when the roll ups are and other members avoid the the period the roll up takes place.
    Sounds like a block booking to me

Iíll leave it there
    But it's not a block booking. We don't have the tee booked. And yes - members who do not wish to join a roll-up usually time things to avoid getting tangled up with one. But they can still turn up. What tends to happen is that if a group turns up we let them on straight away so they are not hanging around. Those of us taking part in the roll-up are use to having to hang around to go off and so are happy to accept a slippage of a group or two in our midst. Though i truth it rarely happens.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 07-Nov-2017 at 17:44.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    having a booking system means almost all games are organised well in advance, for some like me who often rocks up at the club on short notice its almost impossible to pick up a game on short notice and sometimes i cant even get out, it also means the owners sell off a lot of tee times at what used to be quieter times at bargain rates making the course too busy (and too slow) a lot of the time

i wanted to play monday and basically couldnt get on the course until after 1pm as every tee time was booked out. I then have the choice to go out on my own behind all the groups with the course playing at a pace of over 4 1/2 hrs for a round
    This is one reason our membership rejected the booking system. If you turn up you should be able to get off by claiming your slot on the tee - you might have to wait a bit - but you are not 'blocked-out'

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    still doesnt answer my question though.

assuming no roll ups, comps or anything else, just members wanting to play on a prime time sunday morning.

In the absence of a booking system what time do you need to arrive at the club in order to get your prefered tee time.
    You take your chances over tee time - we do not accommodate the preferences of individuals in the way you suggest. No tee time is the prerogative of any member. If I wanted to tee off at 8am or as close to 8am as possible I would be at the tee around 7:30am. As groups arrive I let them play until 8am comes around and then I play.

Job done

Challenge Tour Pro

Without wishing to derail the thread any further I don't think there's a perfect solution to tee booking (I've been at a club with a booking system, one without, and one who only uses it for weekends)

Each system has it's pros and cons and will suit some people (or indeed some clubs) more than others

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Without wishing to derail the thread any further I don't think there's a perfect solution to tee booking (I've been at a club with a booking system, one without, and one who only uses it for weekends)

Each system has it's pros and cons and will suit some people (or indeed some clubs) more than others
    Summed up perfectly- we donít have tee booking and it works perfectly well for our members. Just turn and play when you want except during club comps which are booked online.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Swingalot View Post
    Free drop off of a tree root.
    Brings back memories of when I started playing, hacking it around in teenage ignorance. Early on (before joining a club) I was told you could get a free drop from a tree root and also that you had to take relief if your ball finished on a tee box

Also, that any one off the green had the honour even if players on the green were further away - amazing how many experienced players you come across who think this

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Summed up perfectly- we donít have tee booking and it works perfectly well for our members. Just turn and play when you want except during club comps which are booked online.
    you do have abooking system then?
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    you do have abooking system then?
    I think you know what I mean donít you paddy -

You can never repair a pitch mark or brush sand / soil off ur line on the fringe...

had to solve a row within the same group one day in a scramble, guy going fitst somehow had a double hit .. On member insisted as he had played his second and third shot , every1 else in group wew now prohibited from playing a second shot . Tried to explain its a single shot plus a penalty not two shots , to just disregard his stroke altogether and use one of other shots . Eventualy his team convinced him , but he reported his own team when he finished

i think the lowest handicap honour on first tee is mad , we still use it most time tho , ready golf from there
    Golf... A simple game played by complicated people ...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bladeplayer View Post
    You can never repair a pitch mark or brush sand / soil off ur line on the fringe...

had to solve a row within the same group one day in a scramble, guy going fitst somehow had a double hit .. On member insisted as he had played his second and third shot , every1 else in group wew now prohibited from playing a second shot . Tried to explain its a single shot plus a penalty not two shots , to just disregard his stroke altogether and use one of other shots . Eventualy his team convinced him , but he reported his own team when he finished

i think the lowest handicap honour on first tee is mad , we still use it most time tho , ready golf from there
    you cant repair a pitch mark or remove sand from the fringe!!