Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

What's the best made-up rule you have come across?

Arranged to play at 9.30 yesterday. When we got to the first, there was 4 4 balls waiting to tee off. No tee reservations on a Saturday morning is a bad idea, but there you go.

Rather than wait for them, we decided to start from the 10th. The rule is that if someone is playing the 9th, you let them finish and tee off on the 10th, and then follow them. There was a 3 ball on the 9th, so we did as above and followed them, they were quite friendly once we let them go through.

The 10th is a par 5, we tee off, but are then held up taking our 2nd shot by the group in front looking for a lost ball. While this is going on, another group turn up on the 10th tee and one of them starts shouting at us. I point to the group ahead who are still in range. They then hit their drives anyway, one of them landing within a few feet of us. I wasn't amused, but decide to let it go, the group in front eventually move on, and we play our second shots.

A few minutes later we are waiting on the par 3 11th to play, when the group behind get to the 10th green. The guy who was doing the shouting marches over and accuses us of jumping in. I say to him "no, we have followed the rules, we let the group who were playing the 9th go through before we started."

He then tells me he has been a committee member for years, and the rule is that you can't start on the 10th if anyone is on the front 9 playing a full round! I tell him that is ludicrous and again explain my understanding of the rule. He also says we can't jump in as his group is playing with the group in front of us and the one behind them. There is no official comp on, so I tell him that's irrelevant.

He says he is going to report me, I say "fine, go ahead and do that", and we leave it at that. we crack on, they were a pretty slow 4 ball, and there were just 2 of us, so we don't see them again.

After we had finished our round, I went into the pro shop and asked him to confirm my understanding of the rule, which he did. He found the idea that you couldn't start on the 10th if anyone was anywhere on the front 9 playing a full round quite amusing.

Needless to say, they hadn't went in to complain after their round, but I guess they still could complain to the committee. Should be interesting if they have!

What's the daftest made-up rule you have been quoted?

Re: What's the best made-up rule you have come across?

thats not really a rule of golf, but there are too many myths and general made up things to list.
    COYS

"I think my ball's gone in the lake. I'll hit a provisional."

You can only pick and place under winter rules when the ball is on the fringe of the green.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

One penalty shot for each leaf that comes off a tree if you hit it with your practice swing.
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Tour Rookie

growing up I played golf with my grandad... he made up many rules

my favourite was "if there is water in the bunker its out of play" he meant even a tiny bit of water aswell

when I started playing with others I got a bit embarrassed when I came out with his rules .. you always trust your grandad lol
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Q-School Graduate

A double sided chipper counts as two clubs!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    A double sided chipper counts as two clubs!!
    Illegal anyway

Challenge Tour Pro

So many over the years, including the all too common:

- I'll just drop one here (where it crossed O/B)

- Nicest point of relief drops out of bushes etc

- I'll just carry on with my provisional (after finding the original ball in deep trouble)

But my favourite is the guy (friend of a friend) who got caught kicking his ball out of the trees whose excuse was that it didn't matter because he'd added a shot on for it

Club Champion

A guy at our club insisted he was entitled to a free drop in a lateral water hazard because his ball was in "casual" water