Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dubai advice

Assistant Pro

Re: Dubai advice

Big fan of Dubai but I've never played golf out there as I'm normally with just my wife and she'd murder me if I left her alone to play golf!

We're out there in January with my parents and my Father and I will be going to the Dubai Desert Classic.

Does anyone have any tips for attending it? Think we'll be there on the Friday!

Journeyman Pro

"Big fan of Dubai but I've never played golf out there as I'm normally with just my wife and she'd murder me if I left her alone to play golf!"

You must be a nicer bloke to spend time with than me as my wife encourages me to go and play, while she sun bathes. Even on our honeymoon ha ha.
    Handicap 2014-2017 yo yo'in between 10.2 & 11

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mashleyR7 View Post
    "Big fan of Dubai but I've never played golf out there as I'm normally with just my wife and she'd murder me if I left her alone to play golf!"

You must be a nicer bloke to spend time with than me as my wife encourages me to go and play, while she sun bathes. Even on our honeymoon ha ha.
    That's why we go away as two couples - the girls are happy together shopping/beaches while we go golfing. A trip round a market for them usually lasts longer than a game of golf anyway.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Journeyman Pro

"That's why we go away as two couples"

It's why I married my wife ha ha
    Handicap 2014-2017 yo yo'in between 10.2 & 11

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elliottlale View Post
    Best tip i can give, is buy a 'Dubai Entertainer' book for your group, 1 will do. you save the money buying it on one round alone. they are great value!!! half price tickets for pretty much all the golf resorts there, but not the malvinas course at the emirates. Faldo course, fire course, creek, els etc are all 2 for 1 green fees. plus ou get coffee shop, ice cream parlours, restaurants, skiing vouchers. think it cost about 50, really is great
    I second on The Entertainer. We had 10 days back in mid-late May this year - staying with my cousin on The Walk - Jumeira Beach. Don't go June, July, August - way way too hot to do anything very much and the beach is out of the question.

I didn't fancy The Palm at all - a nightmare to get on and off quite a lot of the time as access is only via the 'trunk' of the palm.

We did loads of great stuff - and had a great time. The Entertainer made it just about affordable. But putting aside what you can do, Dubai itself as a place very Marmite. Would I go back? Yes - but probably only because I get my accommodation free - and on The Walk you can't get a better location.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Been to Dubai dozens of times. My brother lived there for 15 years.

Some pointers, golf course-wise -

The Creek is the only golf course in the old town area. Everything else is located in the newer part of the city. But the creek is a great course.
    The Montgomerie is a good track and one not usually played by visitors, but it's well worth a visit. Massive slopes on the greens!
    Emirates Golf Club is excellent, haven't played the Faldo course (Which is also a night golf course) but i have played the Majilis one a few times. It's good but expensive.
    The Jumeirah Golf Estates is nowhere near Jumeirah itself and it's nothing to do with the Jumeirah hotel that's next to the Burj. The Jumeirah Estates is a drive outside of the main city, but well worth the trip as the Earth and Fire courses are ace.
    The one that no one seems to bother with is the 1 hour (or so) drive to is Yas Links in Abu Dhabi. It's the best one around and that most definitely IS worth the trip.

Hope this helps.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Been to Dubai dozens of times. My brother lived there for 15 years.

Some pointers, golf course-wise -

The Creek is the only golf course in the old town area. Everything else is located in the newer part of the city. But the creek is a great course.
    The Montgomerie is a good track and one not usually played by visitors, but it's well worth a visit. Massive slopes on the greens!
    Emirates Golf Club is excellent, haven't played the Faldo course (Which is also a night golf course) but i have played the Majilis one a few times. It's good but expensive.
    The Jumeirah Golf Estates is nowhere near Jumeirah itself and it's nothing to do with the Jumeirah hotel that's next to the Burj. The Jumeirah Estates is a drive outside of the main city, but well worth the trip as the Earth and Fire courses are ace.
    The one that no one seems to bother with is the 1 hour (or so) drive to is Yas Links in Abu Dhabi. It's the best one around and that most definitely IS worth the trip.

Hope this helps.
    We tossed a coin about Abu Dhabi and chose Abu Dhabi Golf Club instead. I think the Eagle clubhouse tipped the balance!!

I wasn't going to play golf - but through my cuz I borrowed a set and played The Faldo at The Emirates and Jebel Ali (twice). JA is only 9 holes but there are three sets of tees setting quite different yardages and challenges - and it's quite a bit cheaper than The Emirates.

But as it wasn't a golf holiday my cousin organised loads of other stuff for us to do. We particularly enjoyed Brunch at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel - quite an experience.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 07-Nov-2017 at 18:10.

Job done

Yep Ive played Jebel Ali too. Greens are rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Yep Ive played Jebel Ali too. Greens are rock solid.
    Indeed - I twigged that as I lobbed a ball into one of the greens to see it bounce way up in the air and into the lake close behind the green. But I liked it - and it's nice the local deer wandering about and other wildlife.

Job done