Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubai advice

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Dubai advice

Anyone been? Looking to go end of Feb, beginning of March 2018 as two couples, Girls just want beach and shopping while we just want golf.

Is it best to be close to the centre or further down by The Palms? There seem to be decent prices for both areas,

Should we book golf before we go or when we are there and which courses should we be looking at playing (at least 4)?
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Journeyman Pro

Re: Dubai advice

Went last year, going again in 10 days. The place is incredible. Personally, I would book the golf before going....it is expensive whilst there, so think you can get some better deals booking through YGT or GolfBreaks.

Hotel wise, it will depend on your budget....believe some hotels will have accesses to beaches, however, you can also pay to get on to them. Taxis are cheap enough. Palm will be expensive, so staying just off the palm may be a good shout....canít offer much in the way of advice for the beaches etc, as never went.

Golf wise, however, plenty of options. I would definitely recommend night Golf at the Emirates GC on the Faldo course. Itís amazing. Look to tee off around 6pm if going around Feb/March. Also on the Emirates compound is the Majlis...this will have hosted the Dubai Desert Classic a couple of weeks beforehand.
    Jumeirah Earth is very good (DP World Tour Championship course) and there is also the Fire course at Jumeirah...havenít played this one though.
    For a slightly cheaper golf course, Dubai Creek is a very good knock. Itís up towards the airport, and is one I am really looking forward to playing again. The 6th tee box is amazing, and the last two holes will certainly test your nerve if you have a good score going!

Shopping is incredible out there, just make sure you do research and can work out the exchange rate whilst looking at stuff, as some things can be a lot more expensive compared to the UK. On the flip side, other stuff can be a lot cheaper. Eating in restaurants is very similar to over here. Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates are the obvious places. We havenít been, but Old Dubai is supposed to be worth a trip with the souks, and many fake goodsavailable if you so desire.

Getting around is easy. Taxis are cheap enough and plentiful. They have card machines, but donít really want to use them, so take some cash! Recommend using these to get to golf courses to play. The metro system is very good too, and quite cheap. If heading out shopping, it may be easier to use these as they have stations at both malls....enjoy the walk from the Dubai Mall station into the mall itself...!

Another thing to definitely do is go to the top of the Burj Khalifa. If you do go up, pre book and get the tickets to go to the very at her than just L125. Itís VIPíd then, and you skip the queues....as well as going much higher. Itís a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it.

If you want more info, or have more questions...feel free to PM me

Hope that all helps and makes sense!

Best tip i can give, is buy a 'Dubai Entertainer' book for your group, 1 will do. you save the money buying it on one round alone. they are great value!!! half price tickets for pretty much all the golf resorts there, but not the malvinas course at the emirates. Faldo course, fire course, creek, els etc are all 2 for 1 green fees. plus ou get coffee shop, ice cream parlours, restaurants, skiing vouchers. think it cost about £50, really is great

Challenge Tour Pro

haven't played golf there, but went last year and can give a few general tips.

If you are planning on doing the Burj, Groupon does the VIP tickets for less than the normal standard entry price. There is always a massive queue for standard admission, but if you've got VIP, you go straight in. You also get a soft drink and a snack.

If you are going to the Mall, go at night so you can see the waterfall show outside. The shops are boring, but the show is great.

Buy a Big Red Bus pass, good way to get round, and you get a cruise of the harbour and creek thrown in.

We stayed at the Hilton Jumeriah Beach. It's small compared to most hotels, but it does have it's own private beach which most don't. It also has an Executive Lounge which is worth paying extra for, given the price of drink in Dubai.

Tour Rookie

The majority of the golf courses are closer the Jumirah than the old centre of Dubai.

Centrally you've got Dubai Creek, but down by the Jumirah Palm you've got Emirates Hills (1 & 2), Jumirah Golf Estates and Trump International a bit further inland.

The monorail is good to get about to the Malls - the 2 big main ones are Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall. Former has the indoor ski slope (I'm not kidding), the latter has the Burj Khalifa, fountains and Aquarium.

As said above, vouchers are really the way forward as retail prices can be inflated and the discounts make things much more reasonable - we bough emergency ice creams when last there as the kids were melting - £20 for 4 ice creams!!
    Woods: Callaway X-Hot
    Hybrids: Srixon ZH45 3h & 4h
    Irons: Srixon Z545 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 50 and 56, Wilson Staff 60
    Putter: Odyssey Sabretooth
    Ball: Srixon AD333
    Handicap for 2017: 18.6 > 17.6 (GPR) > 18.2 (6 x +0.1)

I haven't been but my mate is just back he goes every year, his nephew has a summer membership for the Earth & Fire courses even as a guest he'd have been £200 for the Earth course, he played Trump which is not that long open and said it was fantastic think he was about £100 for that
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Some great tips and info there guys, thanks.

Wabinez, can you just book the golf through YGT or GolfBreaks or does it have to be the whole package?

The night golf is definitely one we want to do, saw a Finch and Shiels video on YouTube of them playing there and it looks fantastic.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bay Hacker View Post
    Some great tips and info there guys, thanks.

Wabinez, can you just book the golf through YGT or GolfBreaks or does it have to be the whole package?

The night golf is definitely one we want to do, saw a Finch and Shiels video on YouTube of them playing there and it looks fantastic.
    Fairly certain you can just book golf through them. They can put together a price for hotel and golf, with hotel of your choosing as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post
    Fairly certain you can just book golf through them. They can put together a price for hotel and golf, with hotel of your choosing as well
    We've found a pretty good flight and hotel deal on Lastminute.com (not booked yet) so if we can just get the golf through YGT etc that would be ideal. Will also see what they can do in terms of matching what we have already seen.

Journeyman Pro

You can book golf only through the big two but I found that by booking on the clubs own website was the same price when I went in 2015 and 16.

Dubai Creek, while an older course than the rest is a good track and shouldn't be discounted for being a little out of the way (back towards the airport)
    The 6th tee box isn't quite 'amazing' but is a novelty teeing off from a raised island in the creek back on land. I agree that the last two holes will certainly test your nerve if you have a good score going! and luckily I managed a birdie par finish to end up on 39 points

Most of what has been posted above is cracking advice so I can't add much to that really.

When I went in June at the taxi driver said I was mad for playing golf in 45 degree heat!! In May we played a two ball at first light, first out, in a buggy, with a pack of beers and was round in just under 3 hours. Awesome.

Next time I go, The Earth, Trump and Monty courses will be played
    Handicap 2014-2017 yo yo'in between 10.2 & 11