Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Tour Winner

Re: Continuous Handicap Review

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    the CONGU notion of 2 strokes maximum.
    Colin
    Which clause covers this? I can't find it.

Tour Winner

There's no clause to say this, but I understand it from Scottish Golf. I've expressed it too much as it if is a rule rather than guidance. The information was that CONGU is reluctant to encourage increases of more than two strokes. I expect that is a generalisation about normal circumstances, but not applicable to exceptional circumstances where, for whatever reason, a player's handicap has been left way behind in a decline in performance and in fairness needs an exceptional increase to bring it back on a level with others.
    Last edited by Colin L; 11-Nov-2017 at 09:08.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    If you are getting 7 x 0.1 every month your handicap needs a serious review.
    I did have a personal review at the beginning of the year but I have noticed that players like myself still appear on the report every month despite having had an increase. I no longer need a review and no longer fit the 7 x 0.1 increases but have gone both up 1 stroke and down 1 stroke during 2017.

Whether tor not there is something wrong with the software I cannot be sure because there are a lot of players on the list that we simply ignore.

We are having a new software supplier in January so it will be interesting to see if this continues.

Q-School Graduate

I'm not quite with this. If a player takes up all those opportunities, his handicap increases should better keep up with a decline in performance.

One of my current concerns, however, is the player who submits only the three qualifying scores a year to maintain a competition handicap. That can mean that he is into a third season before the continuous handicap review is triggered. Of course the Annual Review should take care of this, but I see increases in scores which cannot be compensated for if you restrict increases to the CONGU notion of 2 strokes maximum.
    I think the mathematics of the system simply do not work if a player is going to have a handicap that reflects his current ability if the increases are only 0.1 at a time especially if they do not play enough to trigger a review

Lets say a player plays 6 competitions all of which are 4/5 worse than their buffer zone they would only go up 1 stroke maximum they then continue to play at the same level they are still playing 3/4 worse than there new handicap and so it carries on- they decline further but never get more than a one shot increase automatically so their handicap never matches their ability.

Re your comment about taking up the opportunities I doubt that any player plays in all comps but there are certainly a lot who take up enough to get 7 x 0.1 consecutively.

Tour Winner

There's no clause to say this, but I understand it from Scottish Golf. I've expressed it too much as it if is a rule rather than guidance. The information was that CONGU is reluctant to encourage increases of more than two strokes. I expect that is a generalisation about normal circumstances, but not applicable to exceptional circumstances where, for whatever reason, a player's handicap has been left way behind in a decline in performance and in fairness needs an exceptional increase to bring it back on a level with others.
    Ok. Your statement did puzzle me as the advice we give in England is that exceptional circumstances are treated exceptionally.
    The system is designed to indicate the potential of a player to achieve a score. It works both up and down.
    If a player cannot reach his buffer zone his handicap should be adjusted so that he can at least occasionally.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I think the mathematics of the system simply do not work if a player is going to have a handicap that reflects his current ability if the increases are only 0.1 at a time especially if they do not play enough to trigger a review

Lets say a player plays 6 competitions all of which are 4/5 worse than their buffer zone they would only go up 1 stroke maximum they then continue to play at the same level they are still playing 3/4 worse than there new handicap and so it carries on- they decline further but never get more than a one shot increase automatically so their handicap never matches their ability.

Re your comment about taking up the opportunities I doubt that any player plays in all comps but there are certainly a lot who take up enough to get 7 x 0.1 consecutively.
    As the book says - "to promote fair and equitable handicapping, it is just as important to increase handicaps, where necessary, as it is to reduce them"All out of kilter handicaps can have an effect on the CSS, which in turn affects all players.
    Less than 7 returned scores does not allow for the assessment (via the AR) of player ability from the pattern of scores.