Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: There's cheating and cheating....right ??

never understand the mentally of "you're cheating yourself" because if you cheat you're cheating others out of the chance of winning etc
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Its a wind up
    Ahhh you mean a WUM
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    If you are playing for fun then it doesn't matter. If I am having a fun round and I have a rotten lie in the rough I'll just tell my pp I'm getting it out and then move my ball accordingly. All above board, everyone knows what I am doing. I'd suggest the same to them as well, we are there to enjoy ourselves not hack around.

I suspect the worry you have is whether your pp is doing this in a sneaky fashion and thinks no one is aware. If you do then make a joke of it next time, "is that the latest way to mark your ball now?" It makes them aware you have seen it, your other pp know yet you have not made it a formal thing.

Competitions are a different matter but the question doesn't relate to competitions.
    Would agree with this, largely. In a friendly game with my mates, if one of them basically tells me he's going to 'cheat' we just say fine, whatever, crack on. If they were cheating though and trying to keep it from us I'd find that a bit weird, since nothing rests on our games so they'd only be cheating themselves really. There's all kinds of rules you circumvent when just playing with pals. Like if you're talking an unplayable just let them drop it anywhere where they can have a decent shot, rather than measuring out club lengths and whatnot.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    i disagree. in a comp I'm not going to remove a ball from a divot because i'm used to doing it during a friendly game
    Same here

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    If everyone is in agreement in a casual game, then so be it. But to pick and choose what you want the rules to be on your own back, isn't playing fair by your fellow group or swindle.
    Nobody (aparrt from OP) said they pick and choose their rules in a swindle or when there's a fellow group. Only when it's purely a friendly game with nothing at stake. In those cases the group can play whatever rules they want as it doesn't affect anyone else. In a swindle other people are affected so play by the swindle's rules

Head Pro

Placing everywhere today at the forest, its a friendly so do as you please really 👍

If anyone is happy cheating, carry on. Your in for a big fall when caught
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9 (winter series still to play #qualifyers)

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    never understand the mentally of "you're cheating yourself" because if you cheat you're cheating others out of the chance of winning etc
    Yeah in a competition you are. I think "only cheating yourself" just applies to friendly games when there's nothing resting on it. Just lying to yourself about your score, basically.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Yeah in a competition you are. I think "only cheating yourself" just applies to friendly games when there's nothing resting on it. Just lying to yourself about your score, basically.
    see again id disagree, me and my mate when we play used to get really competitive .. he cheated on a hole once or "miscounted" and didnt own up when I said you got this mate.. so called him a cheat lol.. think it was because we were both on the same until that last hole and that was to win the round .. felt robbed of a draw
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Assistant Pro

Jeezo there are some belters on this forum, some of you need to chill

We're playing tomorrow and a refresh of what's ok in winter will be raised be it turning over in the rough or re-marking in the wrong place on the green.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    "only cheating yourself" just applies to friendly games when there's nothing resting on it
    agree, only when no one else is impacted

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    see again id disagree, me and my mate when we play used to get really competitive .. he cheated on a hole once or "miscounted" and didnt own up when I said you got this mate.. so called him a cheat lol.. think it was because we were both on the same until that last hole and that was to win the round .. felt robbed of a draw
    Doesn't sound like a friendly game

Do you still play together?