Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

What makes "A Good Golf Hole"

I often hear or read people saying that a particular hole on a course is "a good golf hole", or a course doesn't have any bad holes, or was a let down because hole Y was a poor golf hole etc. When I play a golf course, I don't really think about how good or bad a hole is, I just tend to play what's in front of me. It could be a beautiful looking hole or set in a stunning location, which of course I appreciate, but are aesthetics alone good enough to class it a "good golf hole"?

So is it a particular length? A particular par? A particular shape? A level of difficulty? Just the view? I'm interested to know how you define a good golf hole, along with any particular examples.
    Last edited by need_my_wedge; 03-Nov-2017 at 08:46.

Re: What makes "A Good Golf Hole"

Great question, maybe those who have mentioned it could describe the 1st at Dornoch.

Good question!

When we assess courses for the top 100 rankings we are looking for a variety of things on each hole. These include (but not limited to) how the hole looks visually, does it give the player options on how to play it or is it automatically driver from the tee, does it make you think, how well placed are the hazards, how does it sit in relation to the other holes such as maybe back to back par 3's or par 5's or a relentless run of par 4's, the playability of the green complex, what tricks has the architect used to fool the player such as false fronts on greens or 'greenside' bunkers that are actually well short of the green etc.

There are a whole load of things that make a hole good or bad!

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Great question, maybe those who have mentioned it could describe the 1st at Dornoch.
    Nothing wrong with this hole Paul, a nice gentle opener to ease you into the round. From memory I think I hit 3w off the tee and had a wedge or 9i into the green. You go straight from this to a really tough par 3 with one of the best greens you are likely to see, perched up on a plateau that falls away on all 4 sides so it's it's nice to have the chance to start with a par before playing the 2nd!

Challenge Tour Pro

D4S has mostly covered it above but I'll add it needs to be a hole that you can't wait to play again (often therefore offering different ways to play it)

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    D4S has mostly covered it above but I'll add it needs to be a hole that you can't wait to play again (often therefore offering different ways to play it)

Hope that's not the end of it, was hoping to read different opinions and some good example holes

Journeyman Pro

Could be anything from looking visually stunning from the tee, the structure of the hole from tee to green, the location, the way it's shaped - tree lined, water, bunker position. Any of these plus more could make a good golf hole.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27

Member at Baildon Golf Club

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    Hope that's not the end of it, was hoping to read different opinions and some good example holes
    Oh I'm sure there will be lots of 'healthy' debate... especially when it comes to specific holes

Tour Rookie

I would agree with what is in your post, I tend to just play the course.

I like a variety of different holes on a course, straight, short par 4, long par 4, doglegs, slopes on greens, I get bored easily. I do like elevation changes on courses and ideally well looked after.

For me my favourite kind of golf hole probably would be, quirky in many eyes but would include great views, not next to another hole or tee, elevated tee, sweeping dogleg, silly slopes on green and have to say probably in a tree setting. 18th at Delamere is an example or 9th at Sandiway or 14th and 15th at Mile End Golf Club.

Lots of other kinds of holes that I would say are good holes, like short drivable par 4s, pretty short par 3s, get the body all excited.

It has to be pleasing to the eye, playable, fair and when you leave it you want to go back to the tee and play it again. What is pleasing to my eye is not necessarily pleasing to someone else's of course. I tend to like trees, green fairways, colour and shape to a hole.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter