• A Section of the golf club

45 81.82%
  • An ad hoc group

10 18.18%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Head Pro

Re: Seniors Section (?)

Very grumpy section 😱

Needs to be 50 rather than 55+ so I can play in it in 5 years time along with my quest for seniors qualifying (serious over thinking my goals)

Some great old boys to be fair
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9 (winter series still to play #qualifyers)

Assistant Pro

Thanks to those who voted in my poll and to those who have not yet voted - please do.

The reason for this thread was about management rather than to discuss whether one group or another gets preference. (IMO) If a group (Seniors / Ladies) of the club are a 'section' of the club with a seat on the Board, the Board has direct and immediate access to that group and they are answerable to the Board, If they are simply an ad-hoc group doing their own thing, the Board (representing all members, with the best interest of all the member) have difficulty influencing that group.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by balaclava View Post
    Thanks to those who voted in my poll and to those who have not yet voted - please do.

The reason for this thread was about management rather than to discuss whether one group or another gets preference. (IMO) If a group (Seniors / Ladies) of the club are a 'section' of the club with a seat on the Board, the Board has direct and immediate access to that group and they are answerable to the Board, If they are simply an ad-hoc group doing their own thing, the Board (representing all members, with the best interest of all the member) have difficulty influencing that group.
    The problem with your attempted delineation is that there are many more business structures out there within golf clubs now ie if it isn't a member owned golf club then ultimately all committees involving members are matters of convenience.

Any actual Board, as you define it, can always influence the activities of any group's of members (by making rules in the first instance) in the same way as any golf business can influence the activities of anyone using their facilities.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by Doh View Post
    Our club has a senior section run by there own committee they are very good at doing work on the course via a working party of volunteers twice weekly. They have their own comps off the yellow tees and have attracted a good number of new members.
    Will be happy to join them when the time comes.
    Nice to read a post like this, acknowledging the good work that Seniors do in and around the course.

I've just re-joined my old club as a Silver member and play in all the senior comps and socials. i'm really loving it and regret not joining sooner. All the Seniors are very friendly and welcoming and are always so relaxed and ENJOY their golf.

We play on a Monday and the tee's are blocked from 8-10. So that leaves plenty of time for others to get a tee time - or even go out before 8am if time is limited.

I don't understand how the Seniors get such a rough ride from some on here. They really are the lifeblood of a golf club and should be treated as such. There should be room for all ages young and old, and to read "Seniors being ageist" is quite ridiculous!
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!