Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Play more golf memberships

Hi
    Have any of you guys got any experience or opinions on the "play more golf" memberships?
    There are a couple of clubs in my area that are involved in it.
    I am recently just returning to golf after around 4 years out and with a new baby due next week funds will be tight for the foreseeable.
    I'd like to play a bit more competitively than just social golf and it would be nice to get a handicap again so this looks like it could possibly be a good way to go.
    Any opinions or experience with the company/set up etc gratefully received.

Re: Play more golf memberships

I haven't heard of this, have you got a link ?
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 5

Quote Originally Posted by ademac View Post
    Hi
    Have any of you guys got any experience or opinions on the "play more golf" memberships?
    I am recently just returning to golf after around 4 years out and with a new baby due next week funds will be tight for the foreseeable.
    I'd like to play a bit more competitively than just social golf and it would be nice to get a handicap again so this looks like it could possibly be a good way to go.
    Some ok courses there. Not had any experience of the company but if money and chances to play are tight then why not and then top up points as we got into next year and longer nights return

Tour Winner

On Tour is the guy to ask, it works for him.
    IN THE BAG
    Orka GS5 10* Driver, 3 wood, GS5 19*, 22* & 25* hybrid,
    Orka RS5 4-6 irons, Orka RS3 7-PW irons
    Orka J29v 52* 56* wedges, Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo putter

H/C
    2017 start 13.6, >13.7, >13.8, <13.2, >13.3, >13.4, >13.5, >13.6, >13.7, >13.8, >13.9, >15.9, >16.0, >16.1, >16.2, >16.3, >16.4, >16.5

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ademac View Post
    Hi

I joined in in the summer with my brother and 2 friends have joined since

works really well for us as you can get benefits of the membership a cheaper price. We play every other weekend so wouldn't get the value out of a full membership

we get treated well around the club so nothing to complain about

I would check in advance that you like the course and that you will be able to book the tee off times you want and how many points it costs per round (e.g. In the summer a weekend round is 8 points before 11am or 6 after so unless one of us needs an early start we tee off at 11.03am if we can!

anything else you want to know I be happy to help if I can

make sure you get a points deal to start and refer a friend (easy 10 points extra)

Q-School Graduate

My membership was like 100 to join and then I only pay each time I play. For somebody who can only play at the weekend (no time for golf in the week due to long commute) it works out great for me. I still get a CONGU handicap, entrance into all competitions and I can play as many away day courses as I like without feeling guilty that I'm already spending 100 a month on a membership.

Challenge Tour Pro

Cheers guys. Sounds ideal for me at this stage.
    I know 2 of the courses well, just a case of finding out how easy or difficult it is getting a game with members as I will most likely be joining on my own and that will have a big say in which one I decide to join.
    Thanks again.

Assistant Pro

What are the courses you are looking at out of interest?

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
    On Tour is the guy to ask, it works for him.
    It does 👍

Works at Ullesthorpe for me, 8pts on a comp day 24 but free's up at least a grand to wonder around the midlands playing opens, medals, pairs etc. Only downside for me is the 20 away points. I really don't want to be pushed into playing friendly golf at 4 a point. The matrix works great for off peak times.

Winter golf its mega cheap on the matrix.
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9 (winter series still to play #qualifyers)

I nearly joined the scheme at my old course, Linden Hall in Northumberland. I had been a member there for two years but the membership I was on was limited and I wanted to play comps. I looked into Playmore quite a bit to find the catch but there was not one. The key is how many points your course needs to play a round. Linden was low so the scheme made great sense. At other courses, less so. I've spoken to a few people now who are on the scheme and it really does what it says and they feel fully part of the their clubs.

In the end I joined another club but if I had to move again I would most likely go back to Linden on the Playmore scheme.

One tip for you, if you are thinking of joining then register with them. They are always doing joining offers so you get extra points when you join and they will email the offers across. They also have a referral scheme for new members which gain you extra points so find someone, perhaps on here, and you both win. Either way you should be able to get more than the standard amount of points when you sign up.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter