Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Q-School Graduate

Re: Will you swap your ball in the UK winter?

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Interesting strategy, how do you find this works?
    What it means is that I vary putting distance with the same swing using a different ball. Works well for , I used to switch putters between summer and winter but that is not possible in the middle of a round. If I find different green speeds than expected it is very easy to switch balls after a couple of holes.

Club Champion

As a 16 h/c I just bought 40 Titleist grade B balls for under 14 on ebay to use during winter - balls get so scuffed or lost underground at our course so often it is crazy to play with new ones. They arrived yesterday and they look way better than a new ball after about 3 holes anyway!

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    My switches can come at any time of the year depending on where I am playing and the speed of the greens.

Fast greens Bridgestone B330RXS
    Medium pace Nike One Tour D (on my last few of these sadly)*
    Slow Greens Bridgestone B330RX

The former and the latter requires a little adjustment for greenside spin.

* I have been meaning to try out Nike RZN white but little bit so far it seems that do not spin as well.
    So...what are your boundaries for fast/slow/medium? Do you take a stimp reader everywhere you go?

As for me....same ball all year round.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    What it means is that I vary putting distance with the same swing using a different ball. Works well for , I used to switch putters between summer and winter but that is not possible in the middle of a round. If I find different green speeds than expected it is very easy to switch balls after a couple of holes.
    Very novel and interesting concept, whatever gets the ball in the hole in the fewest shots 👍

Do you find the different balls all fly the same, react the same on chips/pitches etc or can you quickly adjust accordingly?

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Very novel and interesting concept, whatever gets the ball in the hole in the fewest shots 

Do you find the different balls all fly the same, react the same on chips/pitches etc or can you quickly adjust accordingly?
    I always play a premium brand 3 piece urethane ball and have learnt the slight distance differences between each of the types I play. Mind you these days I hardly ever practice and my consistency for shot distances rather reflects that. There are some premium brands that cost me half to one iron length so I usually keep these for when I am playing on my own.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post
    So...what are your boundaries for fast/slow/medium? Do you take a stimp reader everywhere you go?

Just many years of experience and an ability to quickly judge what sort of speed the greens are. Simply just looking at the grass on the green gives me a good first impression.

I've fancied trying the Chromesoft X for a while as the standard version is a bit too soft for my liking. Went into AG yesterday and Callaway have an offer just now. Buy 1 doz and get a free 2ball pack as well, try them and if you don't like them take the dozen back for a full refund.

So I'll be trying them on Sunday when I take money off Paperboy and JohnnyDee

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Just use the ones that have managed to last a few rounds during Summer. Provs, Vice Proplus have seen me through the Summer and I have a quite a lot that you wouldn't use on the first tee in Summer but are perfectly good for winter.
    This for me too, got loads of batteredballs and just use them.

Currently got one on the go that's done 10 rounds, going to try and keep it all winter.
    H'cap = 4.5

Definitely old and two pieced balls for the weekend. Looking very wet and so want something to help maximise my meagre distances. Holding the greens definitely not going to be a problem

I was considering this before my injury, I use standard Pro V1's most of the time but considered trying the Pro V1X over the winter, hoping for a few yards extra carry. Perhaps next year.
    www.loweryourhandicap.org Current H' Cap 1.7