Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Pro V1 on the slide?

It's not surprising the Pro V1 is under pressure. Firstly their price has always been at the top end. Secondly, it's been a fantastic success since it's been introduced to the market (I don't think there's been another brand name in the ball market with equal success) and so it is a target to aim at for all other manufacturers. And thirdly, such is their success that the only way really is down as all the other manufacturers chip away at it's market share.
    For myself, I'm a convert to Callaway. Good value for very decent balls.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Robster59 View Post
    It's not surprising the Pro V1 is under pressure. Firstly their price has always been at the top end. Secondly, it's been a fantastic success since it's been introduced to the market (I don't think there's been another brand name in the ball market with equal success) and so it is a target to aim at for all other manufacturers. And thirdly, such is their success that the only way really is down as all the other manufacturers chip away at it's market share.
    For myself, I'm a convert to Callaway. Good value for very decent balls.
    They probably have a little way to go yet to match the Penfold Ace and Dunlop 65....but yes, in the modern era they took their Tour90 and Tour100 onto another plane with the ProV1 range
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

the stats flashing at the top right of the page show why the Pro v is the best ball on the market. but if cost is an issue they I can see why some people are changing but I will always continue to use the Pro V1
    Full set of PXG clubs from putter to Driver. Pro V1 golf ball

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    the stats flashing at the top right of the page show why the Pro v is the best ball on the market. but if cost is an issue they I can see why some people are changing but I will always continue to use the Pro V1
    Whats Neff ovens got to do with it??

http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    Whats Neff ovens got to do with it??

Neff all
    Full set of PXG clubs from putter to Driver. Pro V1 golf ball

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Good points well made. I'm sure in a blind test 99% on here wouldn't be able to tell a Pro V from a Z star and for most average, handicap golfers does the ball make that much difference? I think price for most is the starting point and as I said earlier in the thread with premium balls getting ever more expensive, how long before the 50 per dozen ball and I think its the fact that the Pro V is so expensive is starting to count against them in a more flooded and price competitive market

I am sure you're right. Titleist must have a heck of a marketing budget as it's constant bombardment.

I always look out for some on sale.... but played with a few decent alternatives recently that frankly I couldn't really tell the difference.... I haven't bought any new balls for ages as I seem to have won a decent stock on golf days over the last year or so.
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Regarding the Pro V1 and X versions, I was told by a Titleist rep that originally the X was firmer and spun less but each version has it's own design team who 'do their own thing' so as a result, the X does spin more now but launches lower than the V1.

I like the Chromesoft but find it a bit too soft for me, anyone tried the X version of that??

Journeyman Pro

I always look at other balls to play other than the usual Pro V1. The cost of purchase is higher than most, so when losing a few, it does hurt.

No matter what I do though...I keep coming back to Pro V. I think it's a trust thing, and once that has nestled in, it is hard to think otherwise. I believe this is also the reason for the large tour usage. Players will have used the Pro V since junior golf and college golf...so it's all they know. When you are playing for a living, why venture into the unknown...unless you are being paid untold millions to change.
    Wabey
    Taylormade M2 Driver | Ping G 3 Wood | Ping G 5 Wood | Mizuno JPX-900 Forged | Mizuno T7 Wedges | Edel E-3 Putter
    Thetford Golf Club, Norfolk
    @MattWabe

Tour Rookie

For me, it comes down to the cost. Everyday and twice on Sundays.

There are so many good balls for less. As an example, I just picked up last year's Nike rzn tour for 14 a dozen. There's always one of the premium balls available at a huge discount to the pro-v. None of them will cost me a single shot against any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    For me, it comes down to the cost. Everyday and twice on Sundays.

There are so many good balls for less. As an example, I just picked up last year's Nike rzn tour for 14 a dozen. There's always one of the premium balls available at a huge discount to the pro-v. None of them will cost me a single shot against any of the others.
    Where are you getting rzn tour for 14