Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Pro V1 on the slide?

My mate is a pro at a busy resort and members course. For the first time in as long as he's been in the business Titleist Pro V1 is not his top selling ball and is getting outsold comfortably by the TM TP5. I have to say the TP5x is now also my ball of choice and I think its superb.

I also believe Rick Shiels or Crossfield or someone did a spin comparison and the TP5 spun more by quite some distance off of the wedge.

Has Titleist rested on its laurels or have TM produced a winner here?
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Re: Pro V1 on the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    My mate is a pro at a busy resort and members course. For the first time in as long as he's been in the business Titleist Pro V1 is not his top selling ball and is getting outsold comfortably by the TM TP5. I have to say the TP5x is now also my ball of choice and I think its superb.

I also believe Rick Shiels or Crossfield or someone did a spin comparison and the TP5 spun more by quite some distance off of the wedge.

I suspect that the Pro V will still be the leading ball in the game based on sales - whilst no doubt the TP maybe a better ball for some itís also not sold in every pro shop where as the Pro V is prob in every golf/Pro shop.

Donít really ever see a ball overtaking the Pro V

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I suspect that the Pro V will still be the leading ball in the game based on sales - whilst no doubt the TP maybe a better ball for some itís also not sold in every pro shop where as the Pro V is prob in every golf/Pro shop.

Donít really ever see a ball overtaking the Pro V
    On what basis.? Plenty of dominant brands have lost huge market share or even gone bust over the years. I don't see the prov1 being immune to this.

I tend to jump between the premium TM ball and the Pro V1x depending on best deals and stuff I win etc. Not much to choose between them really but Titleist have such a stranglehold at the top of the game that it will be very hard for another manufacturer to overtake them. Personally really like the TP5x, seems to suit my game.

No doubt this is the best TM ball ever but I'd suggest worldwide Titleist will still be market winners. Certainly on tour they are miles ahead. Personally, I simply look for the best ball for my game and that isn't a premium ball. I have used the TM this year and was blown away by it but on current form I can't justify the cost

Money List Winner

The TP5 and TP5x are better balls than the 2017 ProV versions IMO.

Titleist have the "#1 ball" tag because they pay pros to use them, same as TM do (or at least used to) with drivers.

That said I refuse to pay £45 a box of balls so unless I win them I'll be buying Vice balls, far better value for money
    H'cap = 4.5

The last 2 TM your balls have been excellent - on a par at least with the ProV
    It will be interesting when the next one comes out.
    If it's still as good, or if Titleist don't up their game, it could take a large chunk of the premium ball business.
    But they've got to watch the price.
    ProV and TP5 are both 43 quid a dozen in AG - ok, probably available cheaper but still well over 3 quid a ball
    Lots of decent balls available a lot cheaper....
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    On what basis.? Plenty of dominant brands have lost huge market share or even gone bust over the years. I don't see the prov1 being immune to this.
    17 years now the Pro V has been around - in that time ball after ball has been introduced to be the ďnew leading ballĒ and ball after ball has been trounced by the Pro V - reason is quite clear - because a great deal about of pros use them and Amatuer golfers will continue to buy what the Proís use - The latest stat I saw - last year 169 Pro Comps ( US PGA , ET , LPGA and Seniors ) were won by people using a Pro V - nearest competitor - 27. Titleist spend just as much money developing and marketing their ball how exactly is a ball going to overtake them ?

But everyone on tour donít exactly have to buy there balls, so if thereís something now that strongly rivals the ProV 1 & x then market share or any stronghold means squat if the Proís want to change their balls.

Titleist need to be careful because if you stand still ...............

Very good point. Tbe last TM ball I played and liked was the Penta.

I always come back to the Pro V1 though.

I couldnt give a monkeys who plays it or if its the #1 ball on tour. Fits my game perfectly and gives me exactly what i want.
    ... The moderator formally known as Gareth

A bag containing numerous forged bits, tastefully wrapped in Iliac and Scott Readman Concepts Headcovers

2016 Handicap - 13.6>13.1>13.1>11.8> Clause 23 adjustment > 10.8 >10.9>10.9>11.0