Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Another Short Game Thread

Early hours this morning I was flicking throught the TV Channels and caught a one hour “Wedge Special” on the Golf Channel with Dave Pelz.

He started the programme with 14 Clubs laid out on the ground, Putter, 3 Wedges, Driver and 2 Woods then 6 Irons, he then claimed over the last 10 years the average score in America (using PGA Data) 95.

He then took 95 Golf Balls and laid them out

Broken down as follows:

40 Putts
    19 Wedge Shots
    14 Drives
    20 Woods/Irons
    2 Random/Errors

Whether his stats are 100% I don’t know but he claimed it was.

Seeing it laid out this way really emphasised how important short game is to your score.

Of course all shots matter, but in terms of quick improvement at the average level, short game I would suggest is vital.
    Titleist 917D2 - Driver, Titleist 917F2- 3 Wood, Titleist 917F2- 5 Wood, Titleist 816H - 22, 25 & 27, Titleist 716 AP1 7-W, Vokey Wedge 56, EDEL E-1, Handicap 11

Money List Winner

Re: Another Short Game Thread

I've said it before, and I'll no doubt say it again.....putting, putting, putting.

It's the easiest to practice anywhere, anytime and when you can putt like a pro move to the next bit.

Short game means too wide a range of shots to master them all (in a life time of social golfing).
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Early hours this morning I was flicking throught the TV Channels and caught a one hour “Wedge Special” on the Golf Channel with Dave Pelz.

He started the programme with 14 Clubs laid out on the ground, Putter, 3 Wedges, Driver and 2 Woods then 6 Irons, he then claimed over the last 10 years the average score in America (using PGA Data) 95.

He then took 95 Golf Balls and laid them out

Broken down as follows:

40 Putts
    19 Wedge Shots
    14 Drives
    20 Woods/Irons
    2 Random/Errors

Whether his stats are 100% I don’t know but he claimed it was.

Seeing it laid out this way really emphasised how important short game is to your score.

Of course all shots matter, but in terms of quick improvement at the average level, short game I would suggest is vital.
    oh definitely

I havent played that amazing recently but have scored well due to short game and putting being on

yesterday had 2 x 3 putts which ruined my stats
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

40 putts seems a bit high though ??
    Where I play
    https://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/

2015 Handicap 17.9 - 16.0
    2016 Handicap 16.1 - 18.0

WITB

Taylormade Rocketballz stage 2 driver.
    3 - pw Titleist 714 - AP 1s
    48,52,58 Vokeys.
    Daddy Long Legs putter.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by AMcC View Post
    40 putts seems a bit high though ??
    no gimmes lol
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    no gimmes lol
    Ah well that will be the difference.

It is amazing how small the hole becomes in a medal round after having played for weeks and been given 2 - 3 footers regularly as gimmes
    Where I play
    https://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/

2015 Handicap 17.9 - 16.0
    2016 Handicap 16.1 - 18.0

WITB

Taylormade Rocketballz stage 2 driver.
    3 - pw Titleist 714 - AP 1s
    48,52,58 Vokeys.
    Daddy Long Legs putter.

I can't putt to save me life. Reckon my handicap would be at least 3 lower if I could, if not more. My last round was a half-decent 91 (exactly to my handicap as the par is 68) but that included 38 putts. The greens were having work done, but it still took me far too long to get used to that - I three-putted the first THREE holes, then one-putted the next three because my chipping was really good, then three-putted the 7th and 8th as well. Only one more three-putt on the back nine but that's still ridiculous.

My long irons are the other poor part of my game, but that's not costing me anywhere near as much as putting I shouldn't think.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I can't putt to save me life. Reckon my handicap would be at least 3 lower if I could, if not more. My last round was a half-decent 91 (exactly to my handicap as the par is 68) but that included 38 putts. The greens were having work done, but it still took me far too long to get used to that - I three-putted the first THREE holes, then one-putted the next three because my chipping was really good, then three-putted the 7th and 8th as well. Only one more three-putt on the back nine but that's still ridiculous.

My long irons are the other poor part of my game, but that's not costing me anywhere near as much as putting I shouldn't think.
    I hit 35 putts or under a round.. however its easier to do this as a high handicapper than a low one.. my approach shots dont reach and im say 20 yards short of green or left.. chip close 2 putt .. low cappers land on the green and have longer putts

in the summer when my irons were spot on I was finding greens in 2 then hitting 3 putts because I was much further away

I consider myself to be a poor putter, but if i'm over 30 putts for my round i'm disappointed. Anything under 30 is decent IMO.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    I consider myself to be a poor putter, but if i'm over 30 putts for my round i'm disappointed. Anything under 30 is decent IMO.
    30 putts a round is 6 x 1 putts a round

that isnt poor ...

anything under 36 is below par